Google Desktop Search for Windows XP: A Comprehensive Overview

In summary, anyone here running Windows XP? Apparently this engine is only compatible on Windows XP systems. Microsoft intends to release their own version of a desktop search engine at the end of this year. Google Desktop Search is very good, too good for Windows and it highlights how crappy Windows deals with account bounderies.
Orion1

Anyone here running Windows XP?

I was wondering if the Google Desktop Search engine was impressive.

Apparently this engine is only compatible on Windows XP systems.

I have read that Microsoft intends to release their own version of a desktop search engine at the end of this year.

Reference:
http://desktop.google.com/
http://desktop.google.com/screenshots.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Compared to the search functions XP itself has it kicks ass in my opinion. I've never even gotten the XP indexing services to work properly, but with this I've got no problem ... at least for me its better on all fronts.

Its too good, IMO, thus it 'can' make your PC totally insecure, so I wouldn't advise to install on a 'shared computer'

slashdot

so I wouldn't advise to install on a 'shared computer'

Why not, there's nothing you couldn't find with some advanced search over a network or a keylogger perhaps ? IMO i like GDS but i don't use it that much, but for those concerned about the CPU usage of it, i wouldn't worry, it indexes while the computer is idle ! It's quiet helpful, finds almost everything...

advanced search over a network
:confused:

doubt it, how wouldn't you propose to look inside www https enabled email accounts via a advanced search over network? Maybe with a MITMA but not via any netbios hacks which I presume you are referring too

keylogger perhaps

yeh true and the rest!

I also wouldn't advise you to install a key logger on your shared PC...

The reason why I wouldn't advise you to install on a shared PC, is that unless you know how to lock your account down, ANYONE who can log onto the PC can look at snap shots of your WWW behaviour or even emails or documents that you have saved in your profile... Google Search is very good, too good for Windows and it highlights how crappy Windows deals with account bounderies... anyway Just be warned

Last edited:
Google Search is very good, too good for Windows and it highlights how crappy Windows deals with account bounderies... anyway Just be warned

This is actually a problem ... I got it pretty easy to read other users account related info on a shared pc at work.

This is actually a problem ...

Um yeah, he did mean that its a problem.

Or a usable property making things ever easier ... was however pretty surprised how easy it worked even in this unexpected respect.

Transparent Transmissions...

"Users of the Google Desktop Search software beware -- it indexes your files across all users on your PC , bypassing user protections. The Google cache feature allows all users to browse the contents of messages and files it has indexed, irrespective of who is logged in.

Google Desktop Search might just be too good. Using the new software , I was able to bypass user names and passwords that secure Web-based e-mail programs and view personal messages sent and received on public PCs.

Using Google's new software on a shared computer at the Google booth at the Digital Life trade show floor I was able to easily search for, find, and read private Yahoo e-mail sent on the computer by previous users earlier in the day.

To find old e-mail on the PC, I searched for "compose" and "inbox" using Google Desktop Search. This allowed me to view pages that Google Desktop Search had indexed. I was not able to access the query results directly, but Google Desktop Search stores cached versions of search results found on your desktop, just like it does for its Web searches. The cached versions of the pages could be viewed.

By accessing Google Desktop Search cached pages I could then easily access multiple Web-based e-mail accounts and view some of the messages that had been opened previously in the browser. Searching for "compose" yielded the most startling results. I was able to read private missives sent on the PC very easily.

On one computer alone I was able to access no less that 10 personal e-mails that had been sent using password-protected Web-based e-mail accounts.

Orion1 Experiment:

Theory: Win95/98 platforms are completely transparent to WinXP systems with GDS (Google Desktop Search), (WinXP+GDS)

Protocol:
Network a WinXP system with GDS via a shared network with a Win95/98 system.

Determination:
Are Win95/98 platforms completely transparent to WinXP+GDS?

I was wondering if anyone here could attempt this 'experiment' to determine if this theory is accurate?

It would seem that usernames and passwords on Win95/98 platforms have become little more than inconveniences for these platform users that actually use them, and not for anyone else using a shared WinXP+GDS platform with your system.

Reference:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000264.html [Broken]
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/15/1840215&tid=217&tid=158

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks kind of like Apple's "Spotlight" application.

1. What is Google Desktop Search for Windows XP?

Google Desktop Search for Windows XP is a desktop search application developed by Google for computers running the Windows XP operating system. It allows users to quickly and easily search for files, emails, and web history on their computer.

2. How does Google Desktop Search for Windows XP work?

Google Desktop Search for Windows XP works by creating an index of all the files and information on your computer, including emails, web history, and documents. When you search for something, the application quickly scans this index to find relevant results.

3. Is Google Desktop Search for Windows XP free to use?

Yes, Google Desktop Search for Windows XP is completely free to use. It can be downloaded and installed from the Google website.

4. Can Google Desktop Search for Windows XP search for files on external hard drives?

Yes, Google Desktop Search for Windows XP can search for files on external hard drives as long as they are connected to your computer.

5. Is Google Desktop Search for Windows XP safe to use?

Yes, Google Desktop Search for Windows XP is safe to use. Google has a strict privacy policy in place and the application only indexes content on your computer, not on the internet. Additionally, you can choose which files and information are included in the index.