Thevenin Theorem - Open Voltage and Short Circuit Current

In summary, the problem involves analyzing a circuit with two voltage sources using techniques such as Thevenin Theorem, Kirchoff's Voltage Law, and mesh analysis. The attempt at a solution involved using mesh current analysis to solve for the current and open circuit voltage, but superposition could also be used to simplify the analysis. The final values for the current and voltage were found to be 0.0049 A and 4.13 V, respectively.
ohdrayray

Homework Statement

263bz3c.png

Homework Equations

Thevenin Theorem, Kirchoff's Voltage Law, mesh analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kind of confused as to how to approach this question as a whole because I'm getting put off from the two voltage sources.

I was thinking that maybe I could use mesh current analysis so then I'd get:

-10 + 1200([itex]i_{1}[/itex]) + 3300([itex]i_{1}[/itex] - [itex]i_{2}[/itex]) + 12 = 0
where [itex]i_{2}[/itex] = 0 since it's within an open circuit, so then
1200([itex]i_{1}[/itex]) + 3300([itex]i_{1}[/itex]) = -2
4500([itex]i_{1}[/itex]) = -2
[itex]i_{1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-2}{4500}[/itex] A

Then,
[itex]V_{oc}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-2}{4500}[/itex] * 3300
[itex]V_{oc}[/itex] = 1.5 V

but that doesn't sound right, so I'm not sure how else to approach it. Thanks for help in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a single closed loop, as you discovered when you realized that i2 = 0.

The equation that you've written for loop 1 does not appear to be self consistent in terms of voltage polarities. Voltage rises and drops should always correspond to what occurs while traversing a given component in the direction of the assumed current.

So, suppose that you have the assumed current direction for i1 as you've shown in the diagram and begin "walking around" the loop at the - terminal of the 10V supply. Can you write the KVL equation?

Is it meant to be:
-10 + 1200(i1) + 3300(i1) - 12 = 0 ?

ohdrayray said:
Is it meant to be:
-10 + 1200(i1) + 3300(i1) - 12 = 0 ?

That will do :smile: I would have given the terms the opposite signs when writing out the equation, but as long as you're rigidly consistent in your methodology everything will work out.

When I write an equation for a loop from a diagram, after choosing the current direction for the mesh I imagine "walking around the loop" in the direction of the current, and record the rises and falls of the potential as I pass through components.

Consider: start at the "-" terminal of the 10V supply and moving through that supply in the direction of the current the potential *rises* by 10V. That is, +10V. Proceeding on to move through R1 the potential will *drop* by i1*R1, and so on. So:

10V - i1*R1 - i1*R2 + 12V = 0.

That's how I do it, but your equation will yield the same result for the current.

ohdrayray said:
[bI'm kind of confused as to how to approach this question as a whole because I'm getting put off from the two voltage sources.

You could analyze it using superposition. Having recognized that i2 is zero, the analysis is much simpler.

First, pretend source S2 is replaced by a short circuit (0 volts and 0 ohms), and the circuit can be see to be a potential divider fed by S1. Determine Vab.

Next, pretend S1 is replaced by a short circuit (a solid wire). You again have a potential divider, but this time it is fed by S2. Determine Vab in this arrangement.

Now, because the circuit is composed of linear elements, the actual value of Vab will be the sum of its two components determined above.

Thanks so much for the help :) but I just wanted to make sure that my answer was correct so:

-10 + 1200*i1 + 3300*(i1 - i2) - 12 = 0
since i2 = 0 A,
-22 + 4500*i1 = 0
i1 = [itex]\frac{22}{4500}[/itex] A = 0.0049 A

Then, for Voc:
3300*(i2 - i1) + Voc + 12 = 0
since i2 = 0 A,
3300*([itex]\frac{-22}{4500}[/itex]) + Voc + 12 = 0
Voc = [itex]\frac{62}{15}[/itex] V = 4.13 V

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental concept in electrical circuit analysis that allows for the simplification of complex circuits into a single voltage source and a single series resistance. It states that any linear circuit can be represented by an equivalent circuit containing a voltage source (known as the Thevenin voltage) and a series resistance (known as the Thevenin resistance).

2. What is open voltage in Thevenin's Theorem?

Open voltage, also known as Thevenin voltage, is the voltage that exists across the two terminals of a circuit when no current is flowing through it. It is the voltage that would be measured if a voltmeter is connected across the two terminals of the circuit. In Thevenin's Theorem, it is represented by Vth.

3. How is open voltage calculated in Thevenin's Theorem?

To calculate the open voltage in Thevenin's Theorem, the circuit is first simplified to its equivalent series resistance and then the voltage across the series resistance is measured using a voltmeter. This voltage is equal to the open voltage or Thevenin voltage of the circuit.

4. What is short circuit current in Thevenin's Theorem?

Short circuit current is the maximum current that can flow through a circuit when the resistance between the two terminals is reduced to zero. In Thevenin's Theorem, it is represented by Isc. It is used to calculate the Thevenin resistance of a circuit.

5. How is short circuit current calculated in Thevenin's Theorem?

To calculate the short circuit current in Thevenin's Theorem, the circuit is first simplified to its equivalent series resistance and then the resistance is reduced to zero. The resulting current flowing through the shorted terminals is equal to the short circuit current or Thevenin current of the circuit.