Anything weird happen to you lately?

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the tutor started writing all over my math book without permission to demonstrate a problem. This was inappropriate and offensive, as the book was new and unmarked. He should have had the authority to do this on the book, as it is not something that should be done without consent. The odds of whoever buys the book being able to check for writing is low, so it is worth getting the book replaced.
Jurrasic
Over here:
The tutor started writing all over my math book in pen to demonstrate a problem! Why would a tutor do that? Especially to a perfectly clean new unmarked book that you may want to sell.

Physics news on Phys.org
What an ***.

Take the cost of the book out of his pay.

Some people like to write in books. I don't. I write on paper and throw everything out in the garbage when day ends. But, I do like writings on the margins particularly if they are written by someone intelligent.

I remember once going through a really old library book that was filled with writings on the margins. All comments were very helpful understanding the material. However, I noticed at one point I knew something better than what was written in the margin. So, I added a small line something along the lines, "refer to ..."

I would not write on someones book but I write and highlight on my books. I never sell my textbooks though. I buy only books I want not the texts assigned by the profs because I had some really bad experience with them (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521876222/?tag=pfamazon01-20> .I try to find the best text so I can keep it as a further reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have them replace your book.

DaveC426913 said:
Take the cost of the book out of his pay.

QuarkCharmer said:
I would have them replace your book.

I love these "do something you might not have any authority or power to do" responses.

KingNothing said:
I love these "do something you might not have any authority or power to do" responses.
Why would he not have the authority?

Jurrasic said:
Over here:
The tutor started writing all over my math book in pen to demonstrate a problem! Why would a tutor do that? Especially to a perfectly clean new unmarked book that you may want to sell.

What are the odds that whomever you sell the book to will check every page for writing?

DaveC426913 said:
Why would he not have the authority?

When I was a student in college, I had no control over the pay of the tutors. I guess he could be referring to a private tutor, or he could be the professor in charge of a school tutor's pay.

TS, what exactly is your situation? Have you hired this tutor?

KingNothing said:
I guess...
So you're criticizing comments you have no reason to assume are in error.

You just committed the very offense you were so quick to deride.

Which I love.

Jurrasic said:
Over here:

A few months ago, I lent a text to a student. After he returned it, I found that he had written in pen on many pages. Why would a student do this to an instructor's book?

George Jones said:
A few months ago, I lent a text to a student. After he returned it, I found that he had written in pen on many pages. Why would a student do this to an instructor's book?
I think a better questions would be :
Why would an instructor loan a student one of his books?

Last edited:
bp_psy said:
Why would an instructor loan a student one of its books?
Now now, George is a people too...:biggrin:

Sorry...

bp_psy said:
I think a better questions would be :
Why would an instructor loan a student one of his books?

I've had instructors loan me books before. Last spring when I was retaking calculus 2 (as a refresher) my instructor lent me a book to go over power series. Our book was abysmal, I was a good student who did all the homework, showed up during her help hours whether I had questions or not (I was working on homework), had great grades, and expressed an interest for more information where I was weak.

I'm one of those people who always respects the property of others, so I could support loaning to myself. I also consider most people to be disrespectful idiots, so I doubt I could ever be the person loaning a book out. That would just be stupid. :P

Jurrasic said:
Over here:

Why didn't you yell, "stop!" That's what I do when someone writes on my papers. Then I hand them a new sheet of paper and let them write whatever they want.

Jurrasic said:
Over here:

That's just not on. Regardless if you wish to sell it or not, they have no right to start writing on your book.

Accountancy exams. I was wondering what happened to my life. I go from studying physics, math, chemistry to accounts. Debit. Credit. Golden rules. Who am I? :p

Jurrasic said:
Over here:

He's not a real tutor, he's a representative from the textbook companies trying to reduce the resale market and drive sales of new product.

1. What kind of weird things have you experienced lately?

As a scientist, I am always observing and experimenting with my surroundings. Recently, I have noticed some strange phenomena that I cannot fully explain. For example, I have seen objects move without any apparent force and have witnessed unexplainable changes in the environment.

2. Have you made any new discoveries or breakthroughs?

While I cannot disclose specific details of my research, I can say that I have made some interesting observations and have collected data that may lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs in my field. However, further experimentation and analysis are needed to confirm these findings.

3. How do you differentiate between a weird occurrence and a scientific phenomenon?

As a scientist, I approach everything with a critical and analytical mindset. I use the scientific method to gather evidence and data to support or refute any claims of a weird occurrence. If there is enough evidence to support the occurrence, it can then be further studied and potentially classified as a scientific phenomenon.

4. Do you ever encounter skepticism or disbelief when sharing your experiences?

Yes, as a scientist, I am used to facing skepticism and disbelief when sharing my experiences. This is why it is important to have solid evidence and data to support any claims. It is also crucial to have an open mind and be willing to consider alternative explanations.

5. How do you handle weird experiences that cannot be explained by science?

As a scientist, I believe that there is always an explanation for everything, even if it is not yet fully understood or explained by science. In cases where there is no immediate scientific explanation, I continue to gather data and conduct further research to try and understand the phenomenon. I also remain open to the possibility of new scientific discoveries that may help explain these experiences in the future.