Finding mass within a pulley system. Finding coefficient of friction

In summary, someone help me please! You have a combined mass of M1 + M2 being accelerated. Write an equation for the force that is needed to accelerate such a mass.
Serendipitydo
Ok so I'm in college upgrading, and doing my physics 20. I have a hand in assignment due Wednesday and I can't for the life of me figure out these two questions.

6. The 4.0kg block shown accelerates across a frictionless horizontal table at 1.5m/s2.
Find the mass of object m1
PhysicsQ6.png

A. 0.61kg B. 0.72kg C. 6.0kg D. 26kg

For m1 I have: FN=Fg. Fg=mg, so 39N. FT-0(no Ff)=ma . So FT is 6.0N. And then I'm lost. 8. A 45kg toboggan and rider decelerate on level show at 0.53m/s2. What is the coefficient of friction between the toboggan and the snow?

A. 0.012 B. 0.054 C. 0.22 D. 0.53

I got that FN=Fg. Fg=mg so 441.45N(rounded to 2SD). Fnet=ma so 24N. And then I'm lost. I know that μ=Ff/FN

Someone help me please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a combined mass of M1 + M2 being accelerated (together). Write an equation for the force that is needed to accelerate such a mass.

I got the mass...I think. FT=ma. 6.0N=m1(9.81m/s2) So m1=0.6112kg

Now for the other one...

Serendipitydo said:

Now for the other one...

---
Ok I think I solved it. Ff is Fnet in the direction of acceleration? So since it's decelerating, wouldn't it accelerate in the direction of the friction?

So Ff=ma
Ff=24N

μ=Ff/FN
μ=24N/441N
μ=0.05442

Serendipitydo said:

Now for the other one...
Not so fast. You haven't got this one right, yet. You must determine the force needed to accelerate the combined masses, since they accelerate together.

NascentOxygen said:
Not so fast. You haven't got this one right, yet. You must determine the force needed to accelerate the combined masses, since they accelerate together.

But I only need the mass of the one.

NascentOxygen said:
You have a combined mass of M1 + M2 being accelerated (together). Write an equation for the force that is needed to accelerate such a mass.

NascentOxygen has asked you this question for a reason. Answering it will help you answer the question asked in the problem. More importantly, it should help you understand how to approach such a problem in general.

SammyS said:
NascentOxygen has asked you this question for a reason. Answering it will help you answer the question asked in the problem. More importantly, it should help you understand how to approach such a problem in general.
I'm not having problems with the others, just when I need to find a mass with minimal info.
Fg1-FT=ma
Use the total mass of the system. The difference of force of gravity and tension on the rope would be the net force acting on the system.

Last edited:
The question supplies all the information you need. You have a mass (M1 + M2) being accelerated. The force that is causing the acceleration is the weight of M1.

One equation, one unknown.

Serendipitydo said:
---
Ok I think I solved it. Ff is Fnet in the direction of acceleration? So since it's decelerating, wouldn't it accelerate in the direction of the friction?

So Ff=ma
Ff=24N

u=Ff/FN
u=24N/441N
u=0.05442

That looks right.

Thanks for your help. I tend to overthink these things

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a mechanical device that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to change the direction or magnitude of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How do you find the mass within a pulley system?

To find the mass within a pulley system, you need to measure the force applied to the system and the acceleration of the mass. Then, you can use the formula F = ma to calculate the mass.

3. What is coefficient of friction?

Coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It represents the amount of force needed to move an object over another object.

4. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction within a pulley system?

To calculate the coefficient of friction within a pulley system, you need to measure the force applied to the system and the weight of the object being lifted. Then, you can use the formula μ = F/W to find the coefficient of friction.

5. Why is it important to find the coefficient of friction within a pulley system?

The coefficient of friction within a pulley system is important because it can help determine the efficiency of the system. A higher coefficient of friction means more energy is being lost due to friction, resulting in a less efficient system. By finding and reducing the coefficient of friction, the system can operate more efficiently and save energy.