Solving implicit equation of a plane

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving points on a 2D plane and determining if a given point is on the positive or negative side of the plane. The correct way to solve the equation is by using the dot product, and a typo in the equation was pointed out by one of the speakers. The purpose of solving this equation is to determine the positioning of a given point in relation to the plane.
kouma
Hello,

Can someone tell me if what I am doing is correct. I am trying to solve this equation of 0 = n ( p - p0 ) where n, p, and p0 are points on the plane. Assume this is a 2D dimension (x,y). Is this the correct way of calculating this equation.

0 = nx (px - p0x) + ny (py + p0y)

Purpose: I am trying to find if point p resides on the positive or negative side of the plane.

Only help if you know the answer please.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kouma said:
Hello,

Can someone tell me if what I am doing is correct. I am trying to solve this equation of 0 = n ( p - p0 ) where n, p, and p0 are points on the plane. Assume this is a 2D dimension (x,y). Is this the correct way of calculating this equation.

0 = nx (px - p0x) + ny (py + p0y)

Purpose: I am trying to find if point p resides on the positive or negative side of the plane.

Only help if you know the answer please.

Thanks
You do have a typo (should be py - p0y).

Your question is vague. What do you mean by positive or negative side of the plane? All your points are in the plane.

You are right about the typo, my bad. Thanks.

To clarify my question with an example, assume i have n and p0 given as n= (1,1) and p0=(2, 3). Now, say I have the following set of p {(1,3), (2,4), (1,5), (0,1), (2,3), (3,1)}. I would like to know where does each of the elements in the p set reside with respect to the plane. That is, it is on the positive side of the plane, zero, or negative? solving the equation should give me that answer.

Is this the correct way to solve this equation:

0 = nx (px - p0x) + ny (py - p0y)

Thanks

I still don't know what you mean by positive side or negative side? If n, p0, and all the p's are given, the dot product you wrote has a definite value in each case. To = 0, p-p0 is perpendicular to n-(0,0).

for reaching out for help on this problem. It looks like you are on the right track in solving this equation. To confirm, the equation you have written is correct for a 2D dimension (x,y). This equation represents the dot product of the normal vector (n) and the vector between the point p and the point p0.

To determine if point p is on the positive or negative side of the plane, you can plug in the coordinates of point p into the equation and solve for the result. If the result is greater than 0, then point p is on the positive side of the plane. If the result is less than 0, then point p is on the negative side of the plane.

I would also recommend checking your units and making sure they are consistent throughout the equation. Additionally, it may be helpful to visualize the plane and points in a graph to better understand the relationship between them.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. What is an implicit equation of a plane?

An implicit equation of a plane is a mathematical expression that describes all the points in three-dimensional space that lie on a specific plane. It is typically in the form of A*x + B*y + C*z + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant term. This equation can be used to determine the position and orientation of a plane in space.

2. How do you solve an implicit equation of a plane?

To solve an implicit equation of a plane, you need to find the values of the coefficients A, B, C, and D. This can be done by using known points on the plane to create a system of equations. Once you have the values of the coefficients, you can use them to determine the position and orientation of the plane.

3. What are some applications of solving implicit equations of a plane?

Solving implicit equations of a plane is useful in many fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to model and analyze the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the movement of a vehicle. It is also often used in computer programming to create 3D graphics and animations.

4. Can implicit equations of a plane have more than one solution?

Yes, an implicit equation of a plane can have infinite solutions. This means that there can be an infinite number of planes that satisfy the equation. However, if the equation is restricted to a certain range of values, there may be a finite number of solutions.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving implicit equations of a plane?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving implicit equations of a plane, such as using matrix algebra or finding the intersection of two planes. However, the most common method is to use known points on the plane to create a system of equations and solve for the coefficients. Different methods may be more suitable depending on the specific problem at hand.