Manometer U Tube Homework: Solving Pressure in B

In summary, the U-tube in the figure is sealed at both ends and contains a gas in A, another gas in B, and mercury in C. The heights of the mercury in the two arms are as shown and the density of mercury is 13.6 g/cm3. To find the pressure in B, you must add the pressure in A to the pressure difference, which is computed by multiplying the difference in heights by the density of mercury and the acceleration due to gravity. This results in a pressure of 5x10^4 dyn/cm^2 in B, which is the correct answer.
tsslaporte
Homework Statement

ZJYtq.png

The U-tube in the figure is sealed at both ends. It contains a gas in A, another gas in B, and mercury in C. The heights of the mercury in the two arms are as shown. The density of mercury is 13.6 g/cm3. If the pressure in A is 1 × 10^4 dyn/cm2, the pressure in B is

The attempt at a solution

4-7 = 3CM

0.03m * 9.81 * 13600 kg/m^3 which = 4000 Pa which converts to 4x10^4 dyn/cm^2

But the answer given was 5x10^4 dyn/cm^2

I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Edit: 4x10E4 is the pressure difference. So I have to add A which is 1x10E4 and that gives B = 5x10E4.

Could someone explain why I add A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to think about this problem is to calculate the pressure at the bottom of the U-tube. Look at the left U-tube column the pressure at the bottom is Pb+ hb*density*g that will equal the right U-tube Pa+ha*density*g

It is easy to see why you must add Pa if you are measuring the pressures at the bottom of the U-tube

1. How do I solve for pressure using a manometer U tube?

To solve for pressure using a manometer U tube, you will need to measure the height difference between the two arms of the U tube and use the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference.

2. What is the purpose of a manometer U tube?

A manometer U tube is used to measure the pressure of a fluid. It works by comparing the pressure of the fluid in one arm to the pressure of a known fluid, often mercury, in the other arm.

3. Can a manometer U tube be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, a manometer U tube can be used for any type of fluid as long as the density of the fluid is known. The equation for calculating pressure using a manometer U tube is independent of the type of fluid being measured.

4. How do I determine the density of the fluid using a manometer U tube?

To determine the density of the fluid using a manometer U tube, you will need to know the height difference between the two arms of the U tube and the pressure of the known fluid, often mercury, in the other arm. Once you have this information, you can rearrange the equation P = ρgh to solve for ρ, the density of the fluid.

5. Can a manometer U tube be used for high pressure measurements?

Yes, a manometer U tube can be used for high pressure measurements. However, for very high pressures, other devices, such as pressure gauges, may be more suitable as they can handle higher pressures and provide more accurate readings.