Stability of Critical Points in a System of DEs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the stationary solutions and stability of a system of differential equations. The solution involves solving for x'=0 and y'=0, which gives 12 critical points. The linearization of x'=x-x^3-xy^2 is discussed and it is determined that the (0,0) critical point is not stable. The conversation also mentions this is the first exercise in a course on studying critical points.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the stationary solution(s) of the following system of DE and determine its stability:
[itex]x'=x-x^3-xy^2[/itex].
[itex]y'=2y-y^5-x^4y[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]x'=0, y'=0[/itex].
Expansion of x and y around the critical point: [itex]x=x_0+\alpha[/itex], [itex]y=y_0+\beta[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved [itex]x'=y'=0[/itex], this gave me [itex]x= \pm \sqrt {1-y^2}[/itex] or [itex]x=0[/itex]. And [itex]y=\pm \sqrt {\pm \sqrt {2-x^4}}[/itex]. Which is likely to give me 12 critical points. Let's consider the [itex](0,0)[/itex] first...
I expanded x around [itex]x_0=y_0=0[/itex] via [itex]x=x_0+\alpha[/itex]. I reached that "[itex]x'=x-x^3-xy^2[/itex]" linearizes as [itex]\alpha ' \approx \alpha (1-3x_0^2-y_0^2)+x_0-x_0^3-x_0y_0^2-2x_0y_0\beta[/itex]. Here I see that I'm lucky that I chose first the critical point [itex](0,0)[/itex] because the linearization reduces to [itex]\alpha ' =\alpha[/itex] and so [itex]\alpha =Ae^t[/itex]. Right here I notice that when t grows up, so does alpha. So that I can already say that [itex](x,y)=(0,0)[/itex] is not a stable critical point. Is my reasoning right?

P.S.:This is the very first exercise in the assignment of the course dealing with the study of critical points... Looks already quite complicated to me. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks ok so far.

fzero said:
This looks ok so far.

Ok! Very good to know. Thanks for having taught me how to tackle these kind of problems.

1. What is the definition of stability in a system of differential equations?

In a system of differential equations, stability refers to the behavior of the solutions over time. A system is considered stable if small changes in the initial conditions or parameters do not lead to drastically different solutions.

2. How can I determine the stability of a system of differential equations?

There are several methods for determining stability in a system of differential equations. One method is to analyze the eigenvalues of the system's Jacobian matrix. A system is stable if all eigenvalues have negative real parts. Another method is to examine the Lyapunov stability criteria, which looks at the behavior of solutions near an equilibrium point.

3. What are the types of stability in a system of differential equations?

The two main types of stability in a system of differential equations are asymptotic stability and exponential stability. Asymptotic stability means that the solutions of the system approach an equilibrium point as time goes to infinity. Exponential stability means that the solutions approach an equilibrium point at an exponential rate.

4. Can a system of differential equations be both stable and unstable?

No, a system of differential equations can only have one type of stability at a time. However, it is possible for a system to have different types of stability at different points or regions.

5. How does stability affect the behavior of a system of differential equations?

The stability of a system of differential equations directly affects the long-term behavior of the solutions. A stable system will have solutions that converge to an equilibrium point, while an unstable system will have solutions that diverge or oscillate. Stability also determines the sensitivity of the system to small changes in initial conditions or parameters.