Cartesian Mesh Engine: Sources for 3D FEM in Matlab

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker discusses the need to create a cartesian mesh of a 3D object using Matlab for a Finite Element Method program. They mention the use of Delanuay triangulation and are looking for sources to help with discretization, such as the example of a regular grid. The speaker also suggests checking out a website with links to software for analysis, specifically mentioning GridGen and Pointwise as potential professional solutions.
qnrad
Hi!

I have to do cartesian mesh of 3d object. I have to do this in Matlab. It will be a part of FEM programme. I've read sth about Delanuay triangulation etc, but I have to do really simple disretization sth like in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_grid (Example of a Cartesian grid.)

I have my own solution but I want to see how people usulay done this but i can't found anythink. Does anybody know where to found some sources?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.cfdengineer.com/links/softwarelinks.shtml

There is some good analysis software linked there. In particular at the bottom of the page. I've used both with reasonable results. If you want a professional solution then I would suggest GridGen or Pointwise.

1. What is a Cartesian mesh engine?

A Cartesian mesh engine is a computational tool used in finite element method (FEM) simulations to generate a structured grid of points in a three-dimensional space. This grid is used to discretize the domain of interest and solve partial differential equations (PDEs) using numerical methods.

2. How does a Cartesian mesh engine work?

A Cartesian mesh engine works by dividing the domain of interest into a series of rectangular cells or elements. These cells are then further divided into smaller sub-cells, resulting in a grid of points that cover the entire domain. The engine also assigns boundary conditions and material properties to each cell, allowing for the solution of PDEs at each point in the grid.

3. What are the advantages of using a Cartesian mesh engine?

One of the main advantages of using a Cartesian mesh engine is its ability to handle complex geometries and irregular boundaries. It also allows for a more efficient use of computational resources compared to unstructured meshes. In addition, Cartesian meshes are easier to generate and manipulate, making them a popular choice for FEM simulations.

4. Can a Cartesian mesh engine be used for any type of PDE?

Yes, a Cartesian mesh engine can be used to solve a wide range of PDEs, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and structural mechanics. However, the accuracy and efficiency of the solution may vary depending on the specific PDE and the quality of the mesh generated.

5. Is the Cartesian mesh engine available in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions and toolboxes for generating and manipulating Cartesian meshes for FEM simulations. These include the PDE Toolbox and the Partial Differential Equation (PDE) Modeler app, which provide a user-friendly interface for creating and solving PDEs using Cartesian meshes.