What is the term for an object with limited access and classified information?

• Thread starter Jack8rkin
  • Start date
In summary, the term for an object that has limited access and usually contains classified information is commonly referred to as a "restricted access institution" or "security sensitive site" in the US. In the military, it may also be referred to as a "restricted area" or "restricted access site." The term "режимный объект" in Russian does not directly translate to "custodial facility" and is more accurately described as a "restricted access site."
Jack8rkin
Help me please with a term for an object (which may be a building, or a facility, or an institution) that has a limited access and usually contains some classified informaiton.
It is not related to penitentiary facilities.

What I'm asking about could be a scientific facility/institution or a military object.
I do not know if Natinal Laboratories in the U.S. are such objects, but in the RF institutions of the same type are.

(BTW, in Russian it is режимный объект)
Would it be a proper term if I say:

restricted access institution
or
security sensitive site

What is usually used in the U.S.?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
probably its boundary would be posted by signs as restricted area or security area.

Perhaps it would be referred to in communications as a secure site ?

somebody work in one who can help him ?

our commercial nuclear plant had signs that read "security area" but i think that was not an official designation just how our security chief spoke.

Jack8rkin,

Google translate does not help here, as you already know. "режимный объект" converts into "custodial facility", which is not used according to my experience.

I work in buildings and also rooms that contain classified materials. Usually there are signs at the entrances that read "Restricted Access".

In the military, when we usually see a restricted area such as an Arms room or a place where intel people work, there's usually a sign that says:

U.S. ARMY RESTRICTED AREA
WARNING

This reservation has been declared a restricted area by authority of Commanding General, in accordance with provisions of the directive issued by the Secretary of Defense on 20 August 1954, pursuant to the provisions section 21, internal security act 1950. Unauthorized entry prohibited. All persons and vehicles entering hereon are liable to search. Photographs, making notes, drawings,maps or representation of this area or its activities, is prohibited unless, specifically authorized by the Commanding Officer. Any such material found in possession of unauthorized person will be confiscated.

That's how it would look for a military place.

So in short Restricted area seems like the correct term.

The term "restricted access site" is used, particuarly for areas of sensitive technology.

NNSA sites are restricted access. For example, "the NNSS is one of the largest restricted access areas in the United States."

Other DOE facilities are also designated restricted access because of sensitive technology.

Thank you guys a ton! That helped a lot!

1. What is a restricted-access facility?

A restricted-access facility is a controlled environment where access is limited to authorized personnel only. This is often used in scientific research facilities to protect sensitive or hazardous materials and maintain confidentiality.

2. How are restricted-access facilities secured?

Restricted-access facilities are secured through various measures, such as keycard or biometric access systems, security cameras, and physical barriers like locked doors or gates. These measures help prevent unauthorized individuals from entering the facility.

3. What types of research is typically conducted in a restricted-access facility?

A variety of research can be conducted in a restricted-access facility, including biomedical research, nuclear research, and chemical or biological research. These facilities are often used for experiments that require strict control and confidentiality.

4. How does one gain access to a restricted-access facility?

Access to a restricted-access facility is typically granted to authorized personnel only, such as researchers, staff, and approved visitors. This is usually done through a formal application process and background checks to ensure the individuals are qualified and trustworthy.

5. What safety protocols are in place in a restricted-access facility?

Safety is a top priority in restricted-access facilities, and strict protocols are in place to minimize risks. This may include safety training for personnel, proper handling and disposal of hazardous materials, and emergency procedures in case of accidents or incidents.