Reflection loss and refractive index

The reflection loss can be calculated using the equation I/I_i = ((n2-n1) / (n2+n1))^2. Plugging in the values, we get a reflection loss of 4.7%, which is lower than the answer in the back of the book (17.3%). This could be because the light is passing through the quartz cell multiple times, causing more reflection losses. To get the correct answer, you would need to know the number of times the light gets refracted inside the cell. In summary, the reflection loss of a beam of radiant energy passing through an empty quartz cell with a refractive index of 1.55 can be calculated using the equation I/I_i = ((n2-n
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

"Calculate the reflection loss when a beam of radiant energy passes through an empty quartz cell assuming the refractive index of quartz is 1.55"

Homework Equations

I/I_i = ((n2-n1) / (n2+n1))^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm taking the refractive index through the empty cell to be 1 (is that right?)I/I_i = ((n2-n1) / (n2+n1))^2
= ((1.55-1)/(1.55+1))^2 = 0.047 or 4.7%

The answer in the back of the book is 17.3 %

what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the light is passing through the quartz, how many times does it get refracted?

You are right in assuming the refractive index inside is 1.

1. What is reflection loss?

Reflection loss is the amount of energy that is lost when a wave reflects off of a surface. It is typically measured as a percentage of the incident wave's energy that is not reflected.

2. How is reflection loss calculated?

Reflection loss is calculated using the formula RL = -10log(R), where RL is the reflection loss in decibels and R is the reflection coefficient (ratio of reflected energy to incident energy).

3. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend light as it passes through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

4. How is refractive index related to reflection loss?

The refractive index of a material can affect the amount of reflection loss that occurs when a wave passes through it. Materials with a higher refractive index tend to have higher reflection losses because they can bend light at a sharper angle, causing more energy to be reflected.

5. What factors can affect the refractive index of a material?

The refractive index of a material can be affected by its chemical composition, density, temperature, and the wavelength of light passing through it. It can also be influenced by external factors such as pressure and electric fields.