Photon-photon collision - electron-anti electron pair creation

In summary, the problem asks for the speed of the second photon in terms of the energy of the first photon. You say that you tried solving for E2 but that it is impossible because the units on the RHS are energy cubed.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

two photons collide head-on and create an electron and an anti electron. The energy of photon 1 is given, but not for photon 2.
Find the velocity β of the systems rest frame (where the total momentum is zero.)

Homework Equations

β=v/c
γ=1/√1-β^2)
β=pc/E

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this every way I could think of, by adding the two momentum four vectors and using a lorentz transform on them, by using the formula for speed of the rest from β=pc/E, but no matter what, I always need the energy of the second photon. How do I get around needing this?!

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any other constraints? You can't solve the problem without more information.

You can find the energy converted because the total rest mass of the electron and positron is known and I guess that any KE they gain can be considered as negligible.

Well that's the thing; I'm pretty sure now that the problem just wants the speed β in terms of E1 and E2, because a later part of the question asks to find the minimum energy required for the second photon. The only problem is that now that β=(E1-E2)/(E1+E2), that makes both γ and βγ very messy constants, which makes solving for E2 impossible (at least for me and maple) The minimum energy would be 1.022E6 eV (2m_eC^2) and the first photon has an energy of 1E12 eV, and by doing the lorentz transform on the added momentum frames, you get an equation for E' (which is shown below in the attachments.) Then E'=1.022E6 eV, E1=1E12 eV, and I have no idea how to solve for E2... haha

Attachments

• IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 422
You made an algebraic error. The units on the RHS is energy cubed. You should have
$$E' = \frac{4E_1E_2}{(E_1+E_2)\sqrt{1-\frac{(E_1-E_2)^2}{(E_1+E_2)^2}}}.$$ That will simplify down quite a bit.

1. What is a photon-photon collision?

A photon-photon collision is an interaction between two photons, which are particles of light. These collisions can occur when high-energy photons, such as those produced in a particle accelerator, collide with each other.

2. How is an electron-anti electron pair created in a photon-photon collision?

When two photons collide, they can create an electron-anti electron pair through a process known as pair production. This occurs when the energy of the two photons is converted into the mass of the two particles, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What is the significance of photon-photon collisions in particle physics?

Photon-photon collisions are important in particle physics because they allow scientists to study the properties of particles and their interactions at very high energies. These collisions can also be used to create new particles, which can provide insight into the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

4. How do scientists study photon-photon collisions?

Scientists study photon-photon collisions using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. These machines accelerate particles to very high energies and then collide them together, producing a shower of particles that can be detected and studied by scientists.

5. Are there any practical applications of photon-photon collisions?

Photon-photon collisions have potential applications in a variety of fields, such as medical imaging and cancer treatment. They can also be used to create new materials and study the properties of light. However, these applications are still in the early stages of development and require further research.