Good References for Functional Derivatives

In summary: Sorry but i need help in this too...the link doesn't work ...any one has that pdf?Thanks. I appreciate your reply, but what I was looking for was something more general: rules about differentiation of a general functional.
Alamino
Does anyone know good online references about functional derivatives? Most of the documents contain only the definition, but I would like some more complete material containing, for example, rules for differentiate composite functionals and other details.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be looking for Gateaux or Frechet derivatives, its rather easy in the case of integral functionals, which are the most common situation in physics and variational problems. What you are mostly looking is to linearize your functional, the linear part corresponds to the Frechet derivative. For example, let

[tex]F(x,f(x))=\int_a^b\sqrt{1+f'^2(x)}dx[/tex]

[itex]f(a)=A,f(b)=B[/itex]

(path length between A and B)

In this case we can calculate the Gateaux derivative using the definition:

[tex]D_hf(x)=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}F(x,f(x)+th(x))\mid_{t=0}[/tex]

doing a little algebra you can easyly prove that

[tex]D_hf(x)=\int_a^b\frac{f'(x)h'(x)}{\sqrt{1+f'^2(x)}}dx[/tex]

The Frechet derivative is more powerfull though, because it allows us to calculate the derivative of more types of functionals.

Let [itex]J(y)[/itex] be a functional of [itex]y(x)[/itex]. The Frechet derivative is given by

[tex]J(y_0+h)=J(y_0)+DJ(y_0)h+o(\|h\|)[/tex]

let

[tex]J(y)=\int_a^b G(x,y,y')dx[/tex]

then

[tex]J(y+h)-J(y)=\int_a^bG_y(x,y,y')h+G_{y'}(x,y,y')h'dx+o(\|h+h'\|)[/tex]

[tex]D_hG(x,y,y')=\int_a^bG_yh+G_{y'}h'dx[/tex]

the example above yields the same result, as expected.

For further references on Gateaux and Frechet derivatives you should check a book of Variational Calculus, i could recommend the following texts.

TROUTMAN. Variational Calculus with elementary convexity.
COURANT. Calculus of Variations.
GELFAND & FOMIN. Calculus of Variations
CARATHEODORY. Calculus of variations and PDE's.
MIKLIN. Variational methods in mathematical physics.
COURANT & HILBERT. Methods of mathematical physics, Vol.I.

Thanks. I appreciate your reply, but what I was looking for was something more general: rules about differentiation of a general functional.

Luckily I could finally find a document that has what I was looking for. For anyone interested, it is at the address

http://phys.cts.nthu.edu.tw/member/staff/qft.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, its the same thing. They use the Frechet derivative. The other results are just properties of it :P

Hmm... True. But you must forgive me, I´m learning it now and I´m not too much used to the details. Anyway, thanks again. :smile:

Sorry but i need help in this too...the link doesn't work ...any one has that pdf?

Alamino said:
Thanks. I appreciate your reply, but what I was looking for was something more general: rules about differentiation of a general functional.

Luckily I could finally find a document that has what I was looking for. For anyone interested, it is at the address

http://phys.cts.nthu.edu.tw/member/staff/qft.pdf

the link doesnot work, do u still have the pdf...?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are functional derivatives?

Functional derivatives are mathematical objects used in the field of functional analysis to measure the sensitivity of a function to changes in its inputs. They are analogous to traditional derivatives, which measure the sensitivity of a function to changes in its variables, but are defined for functions that take other functions as inputs.

2. Why are good references for functional derivatives important?

Good references for functional derivatives are important because they provide a reliable and comprehensive source of information on the topic. They can help researchers and students understand the concepts and applications of functional derivatives, and provide a starting point for further reading and exploration.

3. Where can I find good references for functional derivatives?

Good references for functional derivatives can be found in textbooks, academic journals, and online resources. Some reliable and well-regarded sources include "Functional Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Introduction to Functional Analysis" by Angus E. Taylor, and the "Handbook of Functional Analysis" edited by Michael Reed and Barry Simon.

4. What are some applications of functional derivatives?

Functional derivatives have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They are used to study and solve various problems, including optimization, control theory, and partial differential equations. They are also essential in the development of theories and models in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding functional derivatives?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and functional analysis is necessary for understanding functional derivatives. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of differential equations and measure theory. However, many introductory texts on functional analysis provide a review of these topics, making functional derivatives accessible to a wide range of readers.