Gas Field Detectors: Explaining Electron-Balance-Compensation & Chamber Types

In summary, the conversation discusses gas field detectors and their use in dose measurements. The detector response is directed towards converting radiation interactions into a dose scale. The difference between gas filled detectors and their design parameters, such as gas pressure and electrode geometry, is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the mention of other types of detectors, such as scintillators and semiconductor-based detectors.
Nucengable
Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could explain these expressions to me.
I was reading about Gas field detectors from " Radiation Detection and Measurements" for "Knoll" and paticulary in chapter five
"The gas field detectors are commonly used in dose measurements. In this case, the
detector response should be directed toured the conversion of radiation interactions to detector response in dose scale"

but what I didn't understand what exactly he mean by :

"electron-balance-compensation in the measurement of gamma ray
exposure." ?
and what's the difference between
"free air ionization chamber (for up to 250 keV)" ?
"wide range ionization chamber (cavity chamber)" ?
I couldn't find anything on Google and the book didn't explain very well.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might have more luck googling for gas FILLED detectors.

Basically, ionization of some detection gas is turned into an electronic signal that is then interpreted to find the dose.

The type of gas determines what kind of radiation you are sensitive to

yeah I know "filled" and "field" , I made copy and paste for the paragraph above , I thought field would mean something different, not sure of a misspelling.
I thought the same at the first place , if we have two detectors have the same gas and the same volume , one is detecting a high energy gamma-rays and the other for gamma-rays up to 250 kev , what's the different in the design? this might be a better question ..
I think there's could be some collectors from gamma rays inside the detector works somehow to collect gamma-rays or the other particles that produced from the interaction between the gamma-rays and the collector material as indication for the presence of gamma-ray ,
and if we have a small volume detector comparing with the range of gamma-rays how possible that detector could give us good measurements about the dose , I guess all these are design parameters...? if you have any idea about this I would appreciate it.

One thing that might be different is the gas pressure, the next is the geometry of the electrodes and the voltage across them.

Ionization chambers operate with constant electric fields that just collect the charges generated by the radiation.

Geiger counters operate with much higher fields such that the primary charges get accellerated to the point where they themselves ionize gas and generate more charges (a charge avalanche), thus amplifying the signal, but loosing energy resolution...

There are many different types of gas filled detectors that work with different field geometries and voltages/electric fields strengths. And that is just gas filled detectors. You also have scintillators, semiconductor based detectors, ...

Thank you.. :)

What is a gas field detector?

A gas field detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure the concentration of various gases in a given area. It is commonly used in industrial and environmental settings to monitor air quality, detect leaks, and ensure safety.

How does electron-balance-compensation work in gas field detectors?

Electron-balance-compensation is a technique used in gas field detectors to maintain a stable electrical current within the detector. This is achieved by adjusting the voltage on the detector's electrodes to compensate for any changes in the number of electrons present due to the presence of gas molecules. This allows for accurate and consistent gas detection.

What are the different types of chambers used in gas field detectors?

There are three main types of chambers used in gas field detectors: diffusion chambers, flow-through chambers, and ionization chambers. Diffusion chambers allow gas molecules to pass through and interact with the detector, while flow-through chambers use a constant flow of gas to measure concentration. Ionization chambers use a high voltage to ionize gas molecules for detection.

How do gas field detectors measure gas concentration?

Gas field detectors measure gas concentration through a process called gas chromatography. This involves separating gas molecules based on their physical and chemical properties and then measuring the amount of each gas present. The results are displayed as a concentration value on the detector's screen.

What applications are gas field detectors commonly used for?

Gas field detectors have a wide range of applications, including industrial and environmental monitoring, leak detection in pipelines and storage tanks, and safety measures in hazardous environments. They are also used in scientific research and development to study gas reactions and chemical processes.