What career path should my cousin choose: medical doctor or computer scientist?

• Thread starter N5soulkishin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, N5soulkishin's cousin is seeking career advice as he is torn between pursuing a medical degree or a career in computer science. However, without knowing more about his cousin's interests and motivations, it is impossible to make a recommendation. Ultimately, it will come down to personal preference and dedication to either field. Both are secure career options, but becoming a doctor may require a significant investment of time and effort, while computer science may offer more opportunities for entrepreneurship.
N5soulkishin
hello. for those who know me from my previous post, this is not me. My cousin needss career help. he is about to be a junior in high school. he was wondering if he should be a medical doctor or be a computer scientist (with the highest degree a masters). He wants to know fast; so if you are in one of these fields or has considered one, please contribute.

-N5soulkishin

Physics news on Phys.org
He should choose a career that would fulfill him. One person may find computer science is the most fulfilling field for him; another person may find medicine fits better.

Given that we don't know anything about your cousin, we can't answer that question for him.

N5soulkishin said:
hello. for those who know me from my previous post, this is not me. My cousin needss career help. he is about to be a junior in high school. he was wondering if he should be a medical doctor or be a computer scientist (with the highest degree a masters). He wants to know fast; so if you are in one of these fields or has considered one, please contribute.

-N5soulkishin

Hey N5soulkishin and welcome to the forums.

Is your cousin in it for the money or for some other motive, particular for the choice of medical doctor?

Given that your post was so informative regarding your cousin's mindset towards his potential career paths, I'm afraid I would have to go with computer doctor.

Becoming a doctor or "computer scientist" takes awhile. I mean CS and traditional Medicine are topically different (get it!? topically haha). In any case it is a personal choice based on preference and what makes sense to person.

Both disciplines are here to stay so...

Last edited:
My cousin is mostly interested in the human body and how computers work. so basically he likes the best of both fields.

ps. I think he's in it for money

N5soulkishin said:
My cousin is mostly interested in the human body and how computers work. so basically he likes the best of both fields.

ps. I think he's in it for money

If your cousin is entrepreneurial, then computer science would still be a good option. In fact if your cousin is entrepreneurial then anything that they can stick at, work hard at, and become great at is also an option.

If your cousin doesn't want to be entrepreneurial then a doctor would probably be a good fit if they can get into medical school (which is nuts to get in!). Your cousin will still no doubt have to work hard but they won't have to really worry about where their paycheck comes from or any part of their income for that matter in comparison to the entrepreneur.

It really is deciding which one your cousin is willing to put the necessary time, effort, and thought into and whether your cousin just wants to work his arse off for his employer or work his arse off for himself.

Either way for good money you need to work hard and be willing to take the appropriate risks (medical school: big risk of not getting in, business: what isn't there at stake!)

1. How do I help my cousin figure out their career?

One way to help your cousin with their career is to have them take career assessments or personality tests to identify their strengths and interests. You can also encourage them to explore different industries and job roles through internships, informational interviews, or job shadowing.

2. What resources are available for someone looking for career guidance?

There are many resources available for career guidance, such as career counselors, career centers at universities or community colleges, online job search engines, and professional networking sites like LinkedIn. Your cousin can also reach out to family, friends, or mentors for advice and guidance.

3. How can I support my cousin in their career decision-making process?

You can support your cousin by being a good listener, providing honest and constructive feedback, and encouraging them to pursue their passions. You can also help them research different career options, connect them with professionals in their desired field, and assist them in creating a resume or cover letter.

4. What are some common challenges people face when choosing a career?

Some common challenges people face when choosing a career include not knowing their interests or strengths, feeling pressure from family or society to pursue a specific career, and fear of failure or making the wrong decision. It's important to remind your cousin that it's normal to feel uncertain and to explore different paths before finding the right fit.

5. How can my cousin ensure long-term career success?

To ensure long-term career success, your cousin should continuously update their skills and knowledge through professional development opportunities, stay current with industry trends, and network with other professionals in their field. It's also important to have a positive attitude, work ethic, and willingness to adapt to change in the workplace.