Analyzing a circuit with a current dependent voltage source

In summary, you need two equations to solve this circuit. One equation is for the supernode, and the second equation is for the current sources. You need to solve for V3 and V2.
Evales
Hey guys,

I'm trying the analyze a circuit, I have the answers I should be getting but they're way off what I'm getting when I'm trying to work it out.

I think I might be approaching it from the wrong angle, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might start.

I'm trying to find v3 and v2 (the 2nd and 3rd nodes).

At the moment I'm doing the KCL for each node, and getting three equations with all the node voltages as well as the currents through the voltage source and the current dependant voltage source as variables.

I then do the mesh analysis which I substitute into the original equations, which has given me some pretty crazy answers. The latest being:
v3=696V

v3 is supposed to be 80V!

It's driving me insane, and the way I'm doing it means it takes me an hour to redo it everytime.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Circuit1-4.jpg
    Circuit1-4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! I thought it would have something to do with a supernode but we've only done them in parallel, I wasn't sure it would still apply.

Also in my last three tries I let v1= 50V, but this time I didn't. Clearly time to head to bed lol.

Thanks again.

Look at my solution.
We have a one supernode, and this means that we treat V2 and V3 as a one supernode.
We short CCVS and use nodal analysis.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45849&stc=1&d=1333469734.png

Now we write KCL for our supernode, 4A current source entering node and remaining currents leaving the node.

4A = V3/100Ω + V2/50Ω + (V2 - 50V)/5Ω (1)

And one additional equation

V3 - V2 = 10*Ia (2)

And that's the only think we need to solve this circuit.

Attachments

• 22.PNG
    22.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 560

I understand the frustration of getting unexpected results when analyzing a circuit. It sounds like you are on the right track by using KCL and mesh analysis to solve for the node voltages. However, it is possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or have not fully considered the effects of the current dependent voltage source.

One suggestion would be to double check your equations and calculations to ensure they are correct. It may also be helpful to redraw the circuit and label all the node voltages and currents to make sure you are not missing anything.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a simulation software or circuit analysis tool to verify your results and make the process less time consuming. This can also help you identify any potential errors in your approach.

In terms of approaching the circuit from a different angle, you could try using Thevenin's or Norton's equivalent circuits to simplify the circuit and make it easier to solve. You could also try using superposition to analyze the circuit by considering the effects of each voltage source separately.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully review your calculations and equations and consider using different analysis methods to verify your results. Don't get discouraged, circuit analysis can be tricky but with persistence and attention to detail, you will be able to solve it. Good luck!

1. What is a current dependent voltage source?

A current dependent voltage source is an electrical component that generates a voltage output based on the current flowing through it. This means that the voltage output of the source changes according to the amount of current passing through it.

2. How do you analyze a circuit with a current dependent voltage source?

To analyze a circuit with a current dependent voltage source, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the currents and voltages at different points in the circuit. The voltage output of the current dependent voltage source can then be calculated using the current flowing through it.

3. What are the limitations of a current dependent voltage source?

A current dependent voltage source has a limited range of currents over which it can operate effectively. If the current falls outside of this range, the voltage output may not accurately reflect the current flowing through it. Additionally, current dependent voltage sources are not ideal and may have some internal resistance, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit.

4. Can a current dependent voltage source be replaced with a fixed voltage source?

No, a current dependent voltage source cannot be replaced with a fixed voltage source. The output of the current dependent voltage source is directly dependent on the current flowing through it, whereas a fixed voltage source always has a constant output regardless of the current.

5. What are some common applications of current dependent voltage sources?

Current dependent voltage sources are commonly used in electronic circuits that require variable voltage outputs, such as amplifiers, regulators, and sensors. They are also used in circuit simulations and testing, as well as in more complex systems like power supplies and motor control circuits.