Picard-Vessiot Extension over a Differential Field?

In summary: Can someone please check this?In summary, the author claims that if C is an algebraically closed field, then E/E^G should be Picard-Vessiot and G(E/E^G) should be G. However, if C is not algebraically closed, then E/E^G may not be Picard-Vessiot.
KarmonEuloid
Given a differential field F and a linear algebraic group G over the constant field C of F, find a Picard-Vessiot extension of E of F with G(E/F)=G:

This isn't homework, just something I saw in a book that I was curious about. The author says that this can be shown but doesn't illustrate how. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Caveat: I know nothing about this subject. I checked Wikipedia for the relevant definitions, and I believe this works. First find a Picard-Vessiot extension E/F with G(E/F)=GL_n(C) (such a thing does exist, right??). Next, given a linear algebraic group G, view it as sitting in some GL_n(C)=G(E/F), and then consider the fixed field E^G (this notion makes sense, right??). If the Galois theory of Picard-Vessiot extensions works like normal Galois theory (i.e. if you have an analogue of Artin's theorem), then E/E^G should be Picard-Vessiot and G(E/E^G) should be G.

Note that this proof is identical to the standard proof that every finite group G is the Galois group of some extension. (The role of GL_n above is played by S_n here.)

morphism said:
Caveat: I know nothing about this subject. I checked Wikipedia for the relevant definitions, and I believe this works. First find a Picard-Vessiot extension E/F with G(E/F)=GL_n(C) (such a thing does exist, right??). Next, given a linear algebraic group G, view it as sitting in some GL_n(C)=G(E/F), and then consider the fixed field E^G (this notion makes sense, right??). If the Galois theory of Picard-Vessiot extensions works like normal Galois theory (i.e. if you have an analogue of Artin's theorem), then E/E^G should be Picard-Vessiot and G(E/E^G) should be G.

Note that this proof is identical to the standard proof that every finite group G is the Galois group of some extension. (The role of GL_n above is played by S_n here.)

This seems to work to me. I reposted it on MathOverflow (giving you credit of course) to see if they could verify it (as that is where the question originally came from), although I would also appreciate it if someone here could check this or provide an alternate answer. Thanks.

I read a bit more about this topic and can now confirm that the above proof is correct, provided the field of constants C is algebraically closed. This assumption is apparently necessary for the analogue of Artin's theorem to hold for Picard-Vessiot extensions. See Chapter 6 of Crespo and Hajto, Algebraic Groups and Differential Galois Theory (AMS 2011), freely available here. [Also note: Exercise 7 shows that, for any n, there is a Picard-Vessiot extension E/F with G(E/F)=GL_n(C).]

I don't know what happens if C is not algebraically closed.

The Picard-Vessiot extension over a differential field is a fundamental concept in differential Galois theory. It is a field extension that allows us to study the solutions of a differential equation using the tools of algebraic geometry and group theory.

In the given scenario, we have a differential field F and a linear algebraic group G over the constant field C of F. We want to find a Picard-Vessiot extension E of F with G(E/F)=G. This essentially means that the group of automorphisms of E over F is isomorphic to the linear algebraic group G.

To find such an extension, we need to consider the differential equations that are defined over F and have G as their differential Galois group. These are called Picard-Vessiot differential equations.

The key idea is to construct a differential field extension of F that is generated by solutions of the Picard-Vessiot differential equation. This extension, denoted by E, will be the desired Picard-Vessiot extension.

To show that G(E/F)=G, we need to prove that any automorphism of E over F can be extended to an automorphism of the Picard-Vessiot differential equation. This can be done by using the Galois theory of differential fields.

In summary, the Picard-Vessiot extension over a differential field allows us to study differential equations using the powerful tools of algebraic geometry and group theory. It is a crucial concept in differential Galois theory and has many applications in the study of differential equations.

1. What is a Picard-Vessiot extension over a differential field?

A Picard-Vessiot extension over a differential field is an algebraic extension that allows for the solution of certain differential equations. It is named after the mathematicians Emile Picard and Paul Vessiot, who first studied these extensions in the early 20th century.

2. How does a Picard-Vessiot extension over a differential field work?

A Picard-Vessiot extension works by adding new elements to a differential field in order to solve a differential equation. These elements are chosen in a way that allows for the solution of the equation and can be expressed in terms of the original elements of the field.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using a Picard-Vessiot extension?

A Picard-Vessiot extension can be used to solve linear differential equations with polynomial coefficients. This includes equations such as the second-order linear differential equation, which is commonly used in physics and engineering.

4. What are the applications of Picard-Vessiot extensions over differential fields?

Picard-Vessiot extensions have applications in various fields of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and differential equations. They are also used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations that arise in these disciplines.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Picard-Vessiot extension over a differential field?

One limitation of Picard-Vessiot extensions is that they only work for certain types of differential equations. They cannot be used to solve general nonlinear differential equations. Additionally, the process of constructing a Picard-Vessiot extension can be complicated and may not always be feasible.