Size & AMU of Neon Atom Model: Ideas?

In summary, the protons, neutrons, and electrons of a Neon atom can be represented in a model using the AMU. Protons and neutrons have a mass of 1 AMU, while electrons have a much smaller mass of 1/1836 AMU. If each proton and neutron is represented by 1 inch in the model, the total size of the nucleus would be 20 inches. The size of the electrons could be determined by considering their classical radius of 1 inch, similar to the nucleons. In terms of size, protons and electrons are relatively similar.
LucindaC.
How would I show the relationship of the protons, neutrons and electrons of a Neon atom in a model using the AMU? I know Protons = 1 AMU and Neutrons = 1AMU and the Electrons =1/1836 AMU? If each proton and neutron (20 total)in the nucleus of my neon model is 1 inch, the total size would be 20 inches. How would I determine the size of the item that I could use for the electrons? Any Ideas? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The nucleus would have the radius [itex] \sqrt[3]{20} [/itex] inch.As for electrons,though much lighter,u can consider their (classical) radius 1 inch,just like in the case of nucleons.

Daniel.

which is bigger? protons or electrons?

1. What is the size of a neon atom?

The size of a neon atom is approximately 0.17 nanometers, or 1.7 x 10^-10 meters.

2. How is the size of a neon atom determined?

The size of a neon atom is determined by measuring the distance between the nuclei of two adjacent neon atoms and dividing by two.

3. What is the atomic mass unit (AMU) of neon?

The atomic mass unit of neon is approximately 20.1797. This is the average mass of a neon atom compared to one-twelfth of the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

4. How does the size of a neon atom compare to other atoms?

The size of a neon atom is relatively small compared to other atoms. It is smaller than the size of an oxygen atom, but larger than the size of a hydrogen atom.

5. Why is the size of a neon atom important?

The size of a neon atom is important in understanding the properties and behavior of neon and other elements. It also plays a role in chemical reactions and the formation of molecules.