How to restart my computer after power cut?

In summary, the computer is acting as a PLC and is communicating with a PLC using a start up script to reload the host program should the power go out. The UPS we are using has a relay contact.
Hi,

my computer is running 24h with a software which controls an electric equipement.
This software is working as a PLC, so when i start this software i have to specify the date, time and the number of cycle which it must start.

Problem:
during a power cut, my computer is running in UPS for 2 hours but after it shuts-down.

What i want is:
during a power cut, a small program in java or c must detect a state of a relay which will shuts-down my software and my computer properly and when the power cut come back, my computer should restart and the small program must start my software depending the date and time.

Is it possible?
I heard about the ADAM6060 module which can be used to detect the state of a contact from a relay.

Does anyone have a clue ?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
042012 said:
Hi,

my computer is running 24h with a software which controls an electric equipement.
This software is working as a PLC, so when i start this software i have to specify the date, time and the number of cycle which it must start.

Problem:
during a power cut, my computer is running in UPS for 2 hours but after it shuts-down.

What i want is:
during a power cut, a small program in java or c must detect a state of a relay which will shuts-down my software and my computer properly and when the power cut come back, my computer should restart and the small program must start my software depending the date and time.

Is it possible?
I heard about the ADAM6060 module which can be used to detect the state of a contact from a relay.

Does anyone have a clue ?

Thank you

First of all what PLC are you using?

Also, what software are you using to communicate with the PLC? What you are talking about is running some sort of start up script that automatically takes the current date and time and stores it in the program.
Some PLC's allow you to set the date and time directly via a 'freeport' command which would eliminate the need to do this via the program so I will need to know the details of how you are communicating to the PLC. Creating a start up script to reload the host program shouldn't be an issue.

Finally does the ups have either a relay or transistor output that changes state on loss of supply? You will need this to initiate the shutting down of the software and PC again a simple script should do the job nicely.

Regards
Dan

Last edited:
I think he means that the computer ACTS as a PLC in his setup (i.e. it is controlling equipment using a DAQ of some sort).

The kind of software you are describing is sometimes included with the UPS. What kind of UPS are you using?

on newer computers their is usually on option in the bios for this.

Afair, Apple have done this for a long time.

Do you have any voltage or current sensors?, can you rewire them to any backup low cost PLC?.

In fact, there is no PLC but our house made software acts like a PLC and controls an electric equipment like heating resistors, cooling resistors, measuring pressure, flow etc...and in the same it sends emails automatically to me every hours about the state of each sensors... and i will include the power cut/on message in the message.

The UPS we are using have a relay contact. (brand chloride Linear plus 10KVA)
Maybe it's more complicated that i imagined.
I hope it's clear now.

Thank you all

1. How do I restart my computer after a power cut?

After a power cut, you can restart your computer by simply pressing the power button. It may take a few minutes for your computer to boot up and fully restart.

2. Will restarting my computer after a power cut cause any damage?

No, restarting your computer after a power cut will not cause any damage. In fact, it is a normal and necessary process to ensure your computer is functioning properly.

3. What should I do if my computer does not restart after a power cut?

If your computer does not restart after a power cut, try unplugging it from the power source and waiting a few minutes before plugging it back in. If this does not work, you may need to contact a technician for further assistance.

4. Is it necessary to backup my files before restarting my computer after a power cut?

It is always a good idea to regularly backup your important files, regardless of whether or not you have experienced a power cut. However, in most cases, a power cut should not affect your files and you should not need to backup before restarting your computer.

5. How can I prevent my computer from shutting down during a power cut?

To prevent your computer from shutting down during a power cut, consider investing in a surge protector or an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). These devices can help protect your computer from sudden power outages and allow you to safely shut down your computer in the event of a power cut.