Extracting Uranium from seawater

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of extending the uranium supply for nuclear energy through two technologies: extracting uranium from seawater and fuel-recycling fast-breeder reactors. However, both options are currently not economical. The article suggests that an increase in the price of uranium could make these technologies more viable in the future. The conversation also touches on the importance of a guaranteed cost and off-the-shelf delivery for nuclear power to be economically attractive.
zheng89120
So, I recently came upon a SA article "How long will the world's uranium supplies last?" (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-long-will-global-uranium-deposits-last), and one of the paragraphs talked about:

"Two technologies could greatly extend the uranium supply itself. Neither is economical now, but both could be in the future if the price of uranium increases substantially. First, the extraction of uranium from seawater would make available 4.5 billion metric tons of uranium—a 60,000-year supply at present rates. Second, fuel-recycling fast-breeder reactors, which generate more fuel than they consume, would use less than 1 percent of the uranium needed for current LWRs. Breeder reactors could match today's nuclear output for 30,000 years using only the NEA-estimated supplies."

I am not in nuclear engineering, but I was wondering about the potential of extracting uranium from seawater. I am interested, because if this could be practical, fission could become a very desirable source of energy. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The price of uranium is so low already that it is a rounding error in determining the cost of nuclear power. The economic calculation is driven by the expected cost of the facility and the duration of the construction period.
A turn key nuclear plant with a guaranteed cost, guaranteed operating approval and off the shelf delivery such as is hoped for from the small modular nuclear reactors would make nuclear power irresistibly attractive. Unfortunately, such a facility does not yet exist.

I find the idea of extracting uranium from seawater intriguing as well. It seems like a potentially endless supply of fuel for nuclear energy. However, as the article mentions, it is not currently economical. Do you think advancements in technology and an increase in the price of uranium could make this a viable option in the future? Also, what are your thoughts on fuel-recycling fast-breeder reactors? Do you think they have the potential to significantly extend the lifespan of nuclear energy as a viable energy source? I would love to hear your thoughts on these topics.

1. How is uranium extracted from seawater?

Uranium is extracted from seawater through a process called adsorption. This involves passing seawater through a material called an adsorbent, which binds to the uranium ions and separates them from the rest of the seawater.

2. What materials are used to extract uranium from seawater?

The most commonly used adsorbent for extracting uranium from seawater is a synthetic polymer called amidoxime. Other materials such as activated carbon and polyethylene fibers have also been used.

3. How long does it take to extract uranium from seawater?

The extraction process can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks, depending on the concentration of uranium in the seawater and the efficiency of the adsorbent material.

4. Is extracting uranium from seawater a cost-effective method?

Currently, extracting uranium from seawater is not considered a cost-effective method compared to traditional mining methods. However, research and development efforts are ongoing to improve the efficiency and reduce the cost of the extraction process.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of extracting uranium from seawater?

The main environmental concern with extracting uranium from seawater is the potential release of harmful chemicals used in the extraction process. Additionally, there is a risk of disrupting marine ecosystems if large quantities of seawater are processed. Proper disposal of the used adsorbent material is also a consideration to prevent contamination.