Relation of atomic and mass enrichment?

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for a job interview at a nuclear facility and needing help understanding a specific equation in a book. The equation involves calculating macroscopic cross-section and requires knowledge of atomic density and enrichment. A method for comparing mass and atomic fractions is provided and the conversation ends with a suggestion to try a specific calculation.
OneMoreName
Hi all,

I am preparing for a job interview in some nuclear facility and have to refresh my knowledge about nuclear stuff. So I started reading the book of Lewis "Fundamentals of reactor physics". I got stuck at page 35, formula (2.24). Does anyone have a clue how to arrive at this equation? Where does this factor 0.0128 come from? I played with the formulas a lot but never arrive at this equation. Help would be really appreciated guys. Since I am not allowed to put a link, please put a http: inside the following and you will see the page.

//i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/DidgeFrank/Grafik1.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Replace the N's in favor of the M's. Up to a constant factor, N ~ M/A, so Eq 2.20 is

ea = (M25/235)/((M25/235) + (M28/238))

Then get rid of the M's in favor of ew:

M25 = ew(M25 + M28)
M28 = (1 - ew)(M25 + (M28)

This gives you

ea = (ew/235)/((ew/235) + ((1 - ew)/238)))

so now just multiply out.

The calculation of macroscopic cross-section requires atomic density, and enrichment on an atomic basis would be necessary. For manufacturing and accountability, the mass-based enrichment is required, since it is much easier to measure mass, and accountability records are provided in terms of mass.

Bill K provided the method to compare mass fraction with atomic fraction.

Remember that for an element or isotope, N = ρA/M, where ρ = density, A = Avogadro's Number, and M = atomic mass (of the element, which is weight by isotopic fractions, or by isotopic mass, if ρ is the isotpic mass density).

Try 238/235.

Last edited:
Oh yes, thanks! I was fooling around with the densities because it is mentioned in the text but this leads to nowhere.

Hello,

The equation you are referring to is most likely the relation between atomic and mass enrichment in uranium isotopes. This is an important concept in nuclear science, particularly in the process of enriching uranium for use in nuclear reactors.

The factor of 0.0128 comes from the relative atomic mass of uranium-235 (235.0439) and uranium-238 (238.0508). This factor is used to calculate the atomic enrichment level, which is the ratio of the number of uranium-235 atoms to the total number of uranium atoms in a sample.

The equation is derived from the principles of isotopic abundance and atomic weight. Without going into too much detail, the relative abundance of isotopes in a sample can be determined using mass spectrometry, and this information is then used to calculate the atomic weight of the sample.

I hope this helps in your preparation for your job interview. Good luck!

1. How are atomic and mass enrichment related?

Atomic and mass enrichment are related in that they both involve increasing the concentration of a specific isotope in a sample. Atomic enrichment specifically refers to increasing the concentration of a specific isotope within an element, while mass enrichment refers to increasing the concentration of a specific isotope within a molecule or compound.

2. What is the purpose of atomic and mass enrichment?

The purpose of atomic and mass enrichment is to obtain a higher concentration of a specific isotope for various applications such as nuclear power, medical treatments, and scientific research. This can be achieved through various methods such as centrifugation, diffusion, or electromagnetic separation.

3. How does atomic and mass enrichment differ from each other?

While both atomic and mass enrichment involve increasing the concentration of a specific isotope, they differ in the scope of the sample being enriched. Atomic enrichment focuses on increasing the concentration of a specific isotope within an element, while mass enrichment involves increasing the concentration of a specific isotope within a molecule or compound.

4. What are some examples of atomic and mass enrichment in practice?

Some examples of atomic and mass enrichment include the production of enriched uranium for nuclear reactors, the enrichment of specific isotopes for medical treatments like radiation therapy, and the enrichment of carbon-13 for use in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.

5. What are the potential risks associated with atomic and mass enrichment?

There are several potential risks associated with atomic and mass enrichment, including the potential for nuclear proliferation, environmental contamination, and health hazards from exposure to radioactive materials. It is important for proper safety measures and regulations to be in place when conducting enrichment processes to minimize these risks.