Determining Domain and Range of Cartesian Equations

In summary, the problem involves finding the Cartesian equation of a curve by eliminating the parameter. Two problems are given, one with x = sin t and y = csc t and the other with x = sin θ and y = cos 2θ. The authors of the book provided the domain and range for each problem in the answers section, but it is not necessary to know how to find them to solve the problems. The complete solutions for each problem are also provided, including the notations for cos2(θ) and sin2(θ).
communitycoll

Homework Statement

Eliminate the parameter to find the Cartesian equation of the curve.

Problem #1:
x = sin t, y = csc t, 0 < t < ∏ / 2

Problem #2:
x = sin θ, y = cos 2θ

Homework Equations

What's shown above is what's listed in the book. However, the authors felt compelled to include the domain (for the the second problem) and range (for the first problem) in the answers section in the back of the book which are as follows:

Problem #1:
{y|y > 1}

Problem #2:
{x|- 1 ≤ x ≤ 1}

I'm not sure how they got that (as it has been a year since I finished precal) and I don't think my professor requires me to know how to get the domain and range for these problems, but I'd like to know how just in case I ever come across something like this again.

The Attempt at a Solution

If it makes any difference, here are the Cartesian equations (and the work it took to get them):

Problem #1:
x = sin t
y = csc t
y = 1 / sin t
y = 1 / x

Problem #2:
x = sin θ
y = cos 2θ
y = cos θ^2 - sin θ^2
y = 1 - 2sin θ^2
y = 1 - 2x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
  1. notice that 0<x<1. Thus y=1/x>1, and approches ∞ ("continuously")
  2. here we have x=sin(θ), so -1≤x≤1.

These answers are not the complete answer, often, the answers in the back are not necessarily what someone might answer on their homework or test. A complete solution might include what the book said, and anybody else might mention in their version, like the 0<x<1 above. The book never mentions that. Nor does it mention that for part 2, that -1≤y≤1.

communitycoll said:
Problem #2:
x = sin θ
y = cos 2θ
y = cos θ^2 - sin θ^2
y = 1 - 2sin θ^2
y = 1 - 2x^2

Comment on your notation:

You wrote cos θ^2 and sin θ^2, which would be interpreted as cos(θ2) and sin(θ2), rather than what you really meant, which was [cos(θ)]2 and [sin(θ)]2.

The last two are usually written as cos2(θ) and sin2(θ).

Thank you. Much appreciated.

What is the definition of domain and range?

Domain refers to the set of all possible input values of a function, while range refers to the set of all possible output values of a function.

How do I determine the domain and range of a Cartesian equation?

To determine the domain of a Cartesian equation, you need to consider any restrictions on the input values, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. The range can be determined by finding the minimum and maximum values of the output or by graphing the equation and looking at the y-values.

Can the domain and range of a Cartesian equation be infinite?

Yes, the domain and range of a Cartesian equation can be infinite if there are no restrictions on the input or output values. For example, the equation y = x has an infinite domain and range.

How can I visualize the domain and range of a Cartesian equation?

You can visualize the domain and range of a Cartesian equation by graphing the equation on a coordinate plane. The domain will be the set of all x-values and the range will be the set of all y-values that correspond to the points on the graph.

What is the importance of determining the domain and range of a Cartesian equation?

Determining the domain and range of a Cartesian equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of a function. It also allows us to find the maximum and minimum values of a function and determine its increasing and decreasing intervals.