If your model predicts Tachyons is that bad?

• Thread starter g.lemaitre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Tachyons and their implications in physics models. While they were initially believed to be detrimental to a model, it is now understood that they are not entirely bad. However, the inclusion of tachyons in a model can lead to an unstable vacuum, which was a problem in early string theories. The use of tachyons in a model is seen as a mental exercise for theorists, but if a model predicts them without presupposing their existence, it is considered a flawed model. This approach may be used to uncover flaws in current physics and potentially lead to new discoveries.
g.lemaitre
When I first learned about Tachyons I was lead to believe that they meant your model had anomalies and you needed to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new model. But lately I've been hearing that they are not all that bad. I wish I had some direct quotes but I don't. Are tachyons anathema in the physics community? Do they automatically rule your model out if your model predicts them?

Physics news on Phys.org
They're very bad. Not as much the tachyons themselves, but the fact that a theory with tachyons predicts an unstable vacuum. This was the problem with the early bosonic string theories, which was resolved by including supersymmetry.

What Mark said.
Tachyons, and tachyonic fields are not exactly anathema - the math is kinda a mental exercise for theorists. But them showing up in a model that does not start out by presupposing them basically means the model is junk.

Presupposing them is basically saying you are deliberately making a junk model - but carefully. You may want to do this to expose possible flaws in the existing physics that may lead to new discoveries.

1. What are tachyons and why are they important in science?

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that are thought to travel faster than the speed of light. They are important in science because they could potentially challenge our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe.

2. Can tachyons actually be predicted by a scientific model?

Currently, there is no evidence or scientific theory that supports the existence of tachyons. Therefore, it is not possible for a scientific model to accurately predict their existence.

3. If tachyons do exist, what implications would that have on our understanding of the universe?

If tachyons were proven to exist, it would require a major shift in our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could potentially open up new possibilities for faster-than-light travel and communication.

4. Are there any experiments or research being conducted to test the existence of tachyons?

There have been some experiments and studies conducted in the past to try and detect tachyons, but none have been successful. However, there is ongoing research and speculation in the scientific community about the potential existence of tachyons.

5. If tachyons are proven to exist, would that be considered a "bad" thing?

The existence of tachyons would not necessarily be considered "bad," as it would provide valuable insights and potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe. However, it could also raise ethical and practical concerns about the implications of faster-than-light travel and communication.