Linear Operator T on Vector Space V: Unique Matrix A in Ordered Bases B

• Thread starter Abuattallah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, according to the authors, there is a unique Linear operator T on V such that Ta_i=a_{(i+1)} , i=1,...,n. T^n=0, and\ \ \ T^{n-1}≠ 0. Furthermore, S is a linear operator such that S^n=0 but S^{n-1}≠0. Finally, there is an ordered bases B' such that the matrix of S in the bases B' is the matrix A of part (a).
Abuattallah
Hello,
I am a grad student preparing for a quals. I am using H. and Kunze book.
the problem is:
let V be a n-dim vector space over F. and let [itex]B[/itex]={[itex]a_1,a_2,..., a_n[/itex]} be an ordered bases for V.
a- According to them 1, there is a unique Linear operator T on V such that

[itex]Ta_i=a_{(i+1)}[/itex] , i=1,...,n. and [itex]Ta_n=0[/itex].
what is the matrix [itex]A[/itex] of [itex]T[/itex] in the ordered bases B.
b- prove that [itex]T^n=0, and\ \ \ T^{n-1}≠ 0[/itex].
c- Let S be any linear operator on V such that [itex]S^n=0\ \ \ but\ \ \ S^{n-1}≠0[/itex]. Prove that there is an ordered bases [itex]B'[/itex] such that the matrix of [itex]S[/itex] in the bases [itex]B'[/itex] is the matrix [itex]A[/itex] of part (a).

Solution Attempt.
Obviously we have for (a)[itex]A= \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0&... & 0 &0\\
1 & 0 & 0&...&0 \\
0&1&0&...&0\\
.\\
.\\
0&0&...&1&0
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]
for (b) its obvious.
my problem is with the last question. I tried to justfy it by two ways, the first one is to find an ivertible linear transformation [itex]U:V→V[/itex] such that [itex]S=UTU^{-1}[/itex], then we will be done and such a bases exists. The second way is that I am trying to show the follwing:
there exist at least on vector in the bases [itex]B[/itex] such that [itex]S^ia_i≠0[/itex] for [itex]i=1,..,n-1.[/itex] and I am considering the set [itex]B'=[/itex]{[itex]a_i, Sa_i,S^2a_i,...,S^{n-1}a_i[/itex]}. Note if we proved [itex]B'[/itex] is a bases, then [itex]_{B'}=A[/itex].i.e. the matrix of [itex]S[/itex] relative to the bases [itex]B'[/itex] is A.
Unfotunatly, I could not get to an end with both ways.
Am I doing the right thing? Any suggestions?.
Thank you in Advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello Abuattallah! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use the fact that Sn-1 ≠ 0 :wink:

Thank you tiny-tim.
This is my try:

consider the base [itex]B'=[/itex]{[itex]a,Sa,...,S^{n-1}a[/itex]}, for some [itex]a[/itex] where [itex]S^ia≠0, \forall i≤n-1[/itex], now for the sake of simplicity let's call them as follow [itex]a=a_1, Sa=a_2,...,S^ia=a_{i+1},...,S^{n-1}=a_n[/itex],Consider the follwing

[itex]c_1a_1+...+c_na_n=0[/itex] ... (1)
Aplly [itex]S^{n-1}[/itex] to both sides of (1), we get
[itex]c_1a_n=0→c_1=0[/itex],
now apply [itex]S^{n-2}[/itex] to (1), we get
[itex]c_2a_n=0→c_2=0[/itex], Continueing this way, we will get all [itex]c_i=0\ \ , \ \forall i=1,...,n[/itex], Hence the set [itex]B'[/itex] is linearly independent.
Any comments on my method?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Abuattallah! :wink:

Yes, that's right. :smile:

Just a few "tweaks" needed …

Start with "Since Sn-1 ≠ 0, there exists an a such that …"

Then "So define the ordered set B' = {…}" (you can't call it a basis yet :wink:)

And end "So B' is an independent ordered subset whose cardinality is the same as the dimension of V, and is therefore a basis for V"

By the way, "bases" is the plural of "basis". We speak of a basis for a vector space.

Thank you so much Tiny-Tim.
and thanks for word correction, English is my second language ; ).
You have all a wonderful day,
Abuattallah

Your English is far better than my (put just about any language here!).

1. What is a linear transition probability?

A linear transition probability is a mathematical model that predicts the likelihood of an event or state transitioning from one value to another in a linear fashion. It is commonly used in fields such as statistics, physics, and economics to analyze and predict changes over time.

2. How is a linear transition probability calculated?

The calculation of a linear transition probability involves determining the initial and final values of the event or state, as well as the time period over which the transition is expected to occur. These values are then plugged into a mathematical formula, such as a linear regression equation, to calculate the likelihood of the transition.

3. What are some real-world applications of linear transition probability?

Linear transition probability has many practical applications, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing weather patterns, and forecasting population growth. It is also commonly used in fields such as marketing, where it can be utilized to predict consumer behavior and market trends.

4. What are the limitations of using a linear transition probability model?

While a linear transition probability model can provide useful insights and predictions, it is important to note that it is based on certain assumptions and may not always accurately reflect real-world situations. Additionally, the accuracy of the model may be affected by factors such as data quality and external influences that are difficult to account for.

5. How can linear transition probability be improved or adjusted for more accurate predictions?

To improve the accuracy of a linear transition probability model, it can be adjusted or expanded to account for additional variables or factors that may influence the transition. This can include incorporating non-linear relationships, using more advanced statistical techniques, or collecting more comprehensive and reliable data.