Finding Inverse from Known Linear System

In summary, you could use Cramer's rule to solve for \mathbf{x} if you have a known transformation (a known X and its corresponding B vector), but you could also use dyadic product with a clever vector to get \mathbf{A}^{-1}.
Blue2Sky
Hello All:
Suppose I have a completely known linear system: A*x=b. I know the matrix A, and an x and the associated RHS vector b (and it is non-trivial). Is there some tricky way to directly determine the inverse of A without performing an inversion by typical means (Gauss elimination, LU, etc) ?

Thanks much.

Physics news on Phys.org
True. But my situation is that it is a large system. To use Cramer's rule would be expensive. I was wondering if because I have a known transformation (a known X and its corresponding B vector), that there may be something else that could be done.
For example, if I write
x = A^-1 * b
Then perform a dyadic product with a known vector, d, (of my choosing):
xd = A^-1 * bd
Then:
(xd)((bd)^-1) = A^-1

Something like this. However I know that you can't take an inverse of a dyad. This was my idea, but I just haven't used tensors in a long while and don't even know if what I am asking is possible.
Thanks

hey Blue, try using the LaTeX feature here. it helps you express your mathematical thinking and it helps us read what you express accurately.do you simply want to solve for [itex] \mathbf{x} [/itex]? or do you want [itex] \mathbf{A}^{-1} [/itex]?

Sorry. Yes I want [itex]\mathbf{A}^{-1}[/itex] (actually, particular entries in [itex]\mathbf{A}^{-1}[/itex]) . I have A and an x,b pair. My math from earlier (which I know you can't do unless the dyad is complete... but it was my original thinking):

[itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] = [itex]\mathbf{A}^{-1}[/itex][itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex]
Make dyadic product with clever vector [itex]\mathbf{d}[/itex]:
[itex]\mathbf{xd}[/itex] = [itex]\mathbf{A}^{-1}[/itex][itex]\mathbf{bd}[/itex]
then,
[itex]\mathbf{(xd)}[/itex][itex]\mathbf{(bd)}^{-1}[/itex] = [itex]\mathbf{A}^{-1}[/itex]

My thought was that [itex]\mathbf{d}[/itex] could be chosen so that [itex]\mathbf{(bd)}^{-1}[/itex] might be simple. Again the tensor math here is not correct, I just wanted to throw out my thought.
Thanks.

1. How do I find the inverse of a known linear system?

To find the inverse of a known linear system, you can use the inverse matrix method. This involves finding the determinant of the original matrix, then using that to calculate the adjugate matrix. The adjugate matrix is then divided by the determinant to get the inverse matrix.

2. Can any linear system have an inverse?

No, not all linear systems have an inverse. A linear system must have the same number of equations as variables in order for it to have an inverse. Additionally, the determinant of the original matrix must be non-zero in order for an inverse to exist.

3. How does finding the inverse of a linear system help in solving equations?

The inverse of a linear system can be used to solve equations with multiple variables. By multiplying both sides of an equation by the inverse matrix, the variables will cancel out and the solution for the variables can be obtained.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding the inverse of a linear system?

There is no shortcut to finding the inverse of a linear system. It requires a step-by-step process of calculating the determinant, the adjugate matrix, and then dividing by the determinant. However, there are calculators and software that can automate this process for you.

5. Can the inverse of a linear system change the solution to an equation?

Yes, finding the inverse of a linear system can change the solution to an equation. This is because multiplying both sides by the inverse matrix can result in a different value for the variables compared to the original equation. It is important to check the solution obtained by using the inverse with the original equation to ensure accuracy.