2nd order Differential Eq. - Reduction of Order

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a second-order differential equation using reduction of order. The original equation is (x-1)y'' - xy' + y = 0, with x > 1 and a given solution of y_1(x) = e^x. The process involves using y = y_1(x)V(x) and differentiating to get y' and y''. The resulting equation is (x-1)e^xV'' - xe^xV' = 0. The conversation continues with a discussion on whether to include (x-1) or not, and eventually reaching the solution of y = Ve^x. However, there is confusion on how to reach the solution of y2
leonida
I have a problem with differential equations - 2nd order - reduction of order

my problem is as follows:
[tex](x − 1)y" − xy' + y = 0 , x > 1 ; y_1(x) = e^x[/tex]

solving this type of diff. eq. says to use [tex]y=y_1(x)V(x)[/tex] which gives me [tex]y=Ve^x[/tex] differentiating y gives me
[tex]y'=V'e^x[/tex] &
[tex]y''=V''e^x[/tex]

when pluged into original equation i have

[tex](x-1)e^xV''-xe^xV'=0[/tex] with substitution [tex] V'=u[/tex]

from this point on i am not sure whether i should omit (x-1) since x>1 and cannot be zero, or should i include it. But no matter which road i take, i get a solution that includes some combination of ex . book gives me solution as x, which, upon check is the right solution.. help how to get there is appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the product rule when differentiating.

thanks for the help. i always forget to apply this rule.. but still this does not lead me to the answer...

so.. i Have
[tex]y=Ve^x[/tex]
[tex]y'=V'e^x + Ve^x[/tex]
[tex]y''=V''e^x + 2V'e^x+Ve^x[/tex]
pluging back in original equations gives me
[tex](x-1)V''e^x+2V'e^x+V'xe^x=0[/tex]
setting all the members with V=0 and factoring out ex, since it cannot be zero i am left with
[tex](x-1)V''+V'(x+2)=0[/tex]
substituting V'=u
[tex]u'=-u (x+2)/(x-1)[/tex]
[tex]du/u=-(x+2)dx/(x-1)[/tex]
this gives me wild answer, and i need to be at y2=xhelp please...

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives of order 2. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is meant by "reduction of order" in 2nd order differential equations?

"Reduction of order" refers to the process of transforming a 2nd order differential equation into a 1st order differential equation by introducing a new variable. This technique is useful in solving certain types of 2nd order differential equations.

3. How do you determine the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is equal to the highest order of the derivative present in the equation. For example, a differential equation with a second derivative is a 2nd order differential equation, while one with a third derivative is a 3rd order differential equation.

4. What is the general solution of a 2nd order differential equation?

The general solution of a 2nd order differential equation is a family of solutions that includes all possible solutions to the equation. It is typically expressed in terms of two arbitrary constants, which can be determined by applying initial conditions.

5. Can reduction of order be applied to any 2nd order differential equation?

No, reduction of order can only be applied to certain types of 2nd order differential equations, such as those that can be written in the form y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0. It is important to identify the type of differential equation before attempting to use reduction of order.