Can I get a Ph.D. in physics if my bachelor's degree isn't in physics

In summary: That'll make you stand out.Zz.In summary, this conversation discusses the question of whether individuals with degrees in various fields, such as engineering, computer science, and business, can use their degree to pursue a physics graduate degree in the US. The speaker provides two tests for individuals to determine if they have the necessary background and knowledge for such a pursuit - taking the GRE Physics test and reviewing old qualifying exams from the desired school. They also mention that while physics majors may have a more favorable consideration, acceptance depends on the specific school and their expectations for incoming students. Lastly, the speaker advises having a backup plan, such as a double major in engineering and physics, in case of not being accepted or needing time off.
FallenApple said:
Are you sure that would work? I've only officially taken intro calc based mechanics and e&m about 10 years ago. That's all the physics I have under my belt.

You seem to have the wrong idea about the intention of this thread.

There is NO GUARANTEE implied anywhere in this thread of (i) getting admitted and (ii) getting through a PhD Physics program.

Unless you are willing to enroll in more classes, then take your GRE, submit your applications, and sit back and wait. What else do you think you can do?

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
You seem to have the wrong idea about the intention of this thread.

There is NO GUARANTEE implied anywhere in this thread of (i) getting admitted and (ii) getting through a PhD Physics program.

Unless you are willing to enroll in more classes, then take your GRE, submit your applications, and sit back and wait. What else do you think you can do?

Zz.
Well, being in my situation, I guess there isn't much I can do since I'm not a student so I can't really just take upper division physics courses. But I could claim that I have done physics in my applied classes. For example, I have modeled different orbital/hyperbolic trajectories and energies starting from various escape velocities, something a physics phd told me is not a trivial problem. And I have learned how to estimate likelihood parameters using hamiltonian monte carlo. Also an application borrowed from physics. In one of my diff eqs classes, I have modeled phase spaces of a physical pendulum( undamped and damped etc). Unfortunately, none of those courses have the title of physics. But I suppose I could just explain in the app.I guess I should just self study for the gre then. Is that what you would do if you were in my situation?

Hi,

I'm taking pre reqs to get into a Phd in Computer Science program. I plan on entering in fall of 2019.

That said, I have an interest in Quantum Information/Computing. Is it possible for me to self study for a sufficient background in Physics come fall 2019? i.e about 2 years? The equivalent of doing well on the Physics GRE.

I do not have any Physics background, but have a decently strong applied math background.

tkfriend89 said:
Hi,

I'm taking pre reqs to get into a Phd in Computer Science program. I plan on entering in fall of 2019.

That said, I have an interest in Quantum Information/Computing. Is it possible for me to self study for a sufficient background in Physics come fall 2019? i.e about 2 years? The equivalent of doing well on the Physics GRE.

I do not have any Physics background, but have a decently strong applied math background.

I pointed this thread to you with the hope that (i) you actually read the advice that I gave in the very first post and (ii) that you are able to do your own self-evaluation.

This is NOT the thread to answer your particular question. You are missing the whole point of this thread and my reason for pointing this out to you!

Zz.

Likes gmax137 and russ_watters
<h2>1. Can I pursue a Ph.D. in physics if my bachelor's degree is in a different field?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to get a Ph.D. in physics even if your bachelor's degree is in a different field. Many graduate programs in physics accept students from diverse academic backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics and science.</p><h2>2. Do I need a bachelor's degree in physics to be accepted into a Ph.D. program in physics?</h2><p>No, a bachelor's degree in physics is not a requirement for admission into a Ph.D. program in physics. However, having a degree in a related field such as mathematics or engineering may increase your chances of being accepted.</p><h2>3. Will I need to take additional courses to make up for not having a bachelor's degree in physics?</h2><p>It depends on your specific academic background and the requirements of the Ph.D. program you are applying to. Some programs may require you to take additional courses in physics to ensure you have the necessary knowledge and skills. Others may have a more flexible approach and allow you to take courses as needed during your graduate studies.</p><h2>4. Can I still get a Ph.D. in physics if I have a strong interest in the subject but no formal education in the field?</h2><p>It is possible, but it may be more challenging. Without a strong foundation in physics, you may need to take additional courses or do extra self-study to catch up with your peers. It is important to have a strong passion and motivation for the subject to succeed in a Ph.D. program in physics.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific requirements for non-physics majors applying to Ph.D. programs in physics?</h2><p>Each Ph.D. program may have its specific requirements for non-physics majors. It is essential to research the programs you are interested in and reach out to their admissions office for more information. Some common requirements may include a strong background in mathematics and science, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose explaining your interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in physics.</p>

1. Can I pursue a Ph.D. in physics if my bachelor's degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to get a Ph.D. in physics even if your bachelor's degree is in a different field. Many graduate programs in physics accept students from diverse academic backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics and science.

2. Do I need a bachelor's degree in physics to be accepted into a Ph.D. program in physics?

No, a bachelor's degree in physics is not a requirement for admission into a Ph.D. program in physics. However, having a degree in a related field such as mathematics or engineering may increase your chances of being accepted.

3. Will I need to take additional courses to make up for not having a bachelor's degree in physics?

It depends on your specific academic background and the requirements of the Ph.D. program you are applying to. Some programs may require you to take additional courses in physics to ensure you have the necessary knowledge and skills. Others may have a more flexible approach and allow you to take courses as needed during your graduate studies.

4. Can I still get a Ph.D. in physics if I have a strong interest in the subject but no formal education in the field?

It is possible, but it may be more challenging. Without a strong foundation in physics, you may need to take additional courses or do extra self-study to catch up with your peers. It is important to have a strong passion and motivation for the subject to succeed in a Ph.D. program in physics.

5. Are there any specific requirements for non-physics majors applying to Ph.D. programs in physics?

Each Ph.D. program may have its specific requirements for non-physics majors. It is essential to research the programs you are interested in and reach out to their admissions office for more information. Some common requirements may include a strong background in mathematics and science, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose explaining your interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in physics.