Capacitance and Inductance.

In summary, the capacitance of the variable capacitor in the tuner of an AM radio is 1800pF when tuned to a station at 550 kHz. To find the capacitance for a station at 1600 kHz, one must use the formula for frequency and solve for the capacitance using algebra. The result should be 2.12*10^{-4}\ F.
airkapp
The variable capacitor in the tuner of an AM radio has capacitance of 1800pF when the radio is tuned to a station at 550 kHz. a) What must be the capacitance for a station at 1600 kHz?

I found the frequency first and then am I supposed to setup the 1600 equal to the frequency to find the capitance.

f = f = w / 2π = 1 / (2 π √ LC )

550000 Hz = 1 / (2 π √L * 1.8E-9 Hz)

= H

Do I just use algebra to isolate for L and then use my new inductance to my find my new C.

Am I going to need to use my period? None of these methods seem to be working..
T = 1/f

thanks
air

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
airkapp said:
Do I just use algebra to isolate for L and then use my new inductance to my find my new C.
This is what I would do given the information.

What are you getting? What is the right answer I am getting. [itex]2.12*10^{-4}\ F[/itex]

Thank you for your response. The frequency and capacitance are related by the equation f = 1/(2π√LC). So if we know the capacitance and frequency for one station, we can use this equation to find the capacitance for a different station. In this case, we can rearrange the equation to solve for C and then plug in the new frequency to find the new capacitance:

C = 1/(4π²f²L)

Plugging in the values, we get:

C = 1/(4π²(1600000 Hz)²L)

Now we need to find the inductance for this new frequency. We can use the same equation but rearrange it to solve for L:

L = 1/(4π²f²C)

Plugging in the values, we get:

L = 1/(4π²(1600000 Hz)²(1800 pF))

Simplifying, we get:

L = 1.24E-11 H

So the new capacitance for a station at 1600 kHz would be approximately 1.8 pF. Hope this helps!

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to electricity?

Capacitance is the ability of a material or object to store an electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored per unit of voltage applied.

2. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by the distance between its conductive plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of material used as the dielectric between the plates. It is also influenced by the presence of any other conductive materials nearby.

3. How does inductance differ from capacitance?

Inductance is the ability of a material or object to resist changes in current flow. It is measured in henries (H) and is directly proportional to the rate of change in current. Unlike capacitance, inductance does not store charge but rather stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

4. What is the relationship between capacitance and frequency?

As the frequency of an alternating current increases, the capacitance of a capacitor decreases. This is because the capacitor has less time to charge and discharge with each cycle, resulting in a smaller amount of charge being stored. This relationship is described by the capacitive reactance formula XC = 1/(2πfC), where f is frequency and C is capacitance.

5. How do capacitance and inductance work together in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, capacitance and inductance can work together to create a resonant circuit. This occurs when the capacitive reactance and inductive reactance are equal, resulting in a net impedance of zero. This phenomenon is used in applications such as tuning radio frequencies and filtering specific frequencies in electronic circuits.