What do I tell girls I am majoring in.

• Thread starter E-Guy
  • Start date
DIn summary, the conversation revolves around the question of what major to tell girls when meeting them outside of the field of study. Some suggest being honest about being a physics major, while others suggest lying or joking about being a millionaire or a priest. However, the overall message is to be yourself and embrace your passion for physics.
Aero51 said:
A few days ago I made a comment regarding this subject that got a lot of people angry...The gist of my conclusions: Tell them you are a writer or an artist.

Her: "So what do you write? Can I see your art?"
You: "Uhh..."

Remember, lies tend to snowball until they destroy themselves, and you, under their own weight.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I do write short stories. Secondly, my art is too abstract and personal for the public. It touches something deep inside me which apart of me holds sacred and dear to my heart. Only those I trust and love may see my paintings.

Aero51 said:
First of all, I do write short stories. Secondly, my art is too abstract and personal for the public. It touches something deep inside me which apart of me holds sacred and dear to my heart. Only those I trust and love may see my paintings.

And the tower of lies climbs higher...

Instead of physics, you could always tell a girl you are studying to be a quantum mechanic.

You found my wikipedia page!

Aero51 said:
A few days ago I made a comment regarding this subject that got a lot of people angry...The gist of my conclusions: Tell them you are a writer or an artist.
If that's the case you really missed the point.

I actually understand the OP's sentiment. Telling people you major in physics usually ellicits a strange reaction: They either look at you with doubt, because you don't fit the image they have in their mind of a physisist, or they act confused as to what it is you actually do, and why anyone would choose to study something, which to them, is probably worthless.

It can really be an awkward way to be introduced to someone, and generally leads to them jumping to a lot of conclusions about you. Sometimes it's easier to just lie, especially if you don't plan on seeing the person often.

dipole said:
I actually understand the OP's sentiment. Telling people you major in physics usually ellicits a strange reaction: They either look at you with doubt, because you don't fit the image they have in their mind of a physisist, or they act confused as to what it is you actually do, and why anyone would choose to study something, which to them, is probably worthless.

Really? I've never had anyone do this to me when I tell them I'm going to go to college for astronomy or optical engineering.

It can really be an awkward way to be introduced to someone, and generally leads to them jumping to a lot of conclusions about you. Sometimes it's easier to just lie, especially if you don't plan on seeing the person often.

Well, I can understand feeling awkward, but it is exceedingly difficult for me to lie about anything. That plus I usually don't find that I even want to see people who don't approve of my hobbies/education/job. But, to each his own I suppose.

Ok, I'm a bit confused about what is the goal here. You want to have a relationship? or do you want to have casual sex?

For the first question...Don't lie them, that would be stupid.

For the second one...Tell them whatever you want.

Why the question? If you are majoring in physics then tell them you are majoring in physics? Simple.

Dadface said:
Why the question? If you are majoring in physics then tell them you are majoring in physics? Simple.

+1 for truth and simplicity

Nah bro, go with Rock and Roll studies. You can woo her with your guitar

Woopydalan said:
Nah bro, go with Rock and Roll studies. You can woo her with your guitar
Most musicans' guitar skills aren't worth the risk. Got to back it up with licks. Just be honest.

There were plenty of guitar-posers in the 60's and early 70's, and I made a lot of money off them, buying,adjusting/repairing their equipment and re-selling it. Often, that was the big money, and walking-around money came from playing frat parties and other private gigs.

As others have pointed out, it's best to be honest. What dipole said in post #43 gave me pause, because I have experienced that as well. However, I think it's effectively countered by the point that Drakkith was making in post #21, which (I think) is that if I'm a scientist, I probably don't want to be with a girl who doesn't value science or see it as a worthwhile pursuit in the first place. For that matter, I don't want a girl who's going to pre-judge me just based on my stated profession, or who is only looking for someone's money. So I might as well say "physics" up front and use that as a filter to find girls who will respect me for who I am. Don't make the mistake of thinking that this filter will exclude really attractive women either. It is only a stereotype that all of them are shallow or unintellectual.

I just want to add this. Almost without exception I find that people who are almost always truthful, even about little things, are happier and experience less drama and grief in their lives. People that lie, ESPECIALLY about the little things tend to have far more grief, drama, and pain in their lives. Why? Because they bring it upon themselves in my opinion. Because when people find out you lie to them they stop being friendly, they sometimes actively work to cause you problems, or if they are decent people they simply leave you to your lies and never speak to you again. You lose one of the most important things you can have between yourself and other people. Trust.

Obviously, you shouldn't say anything. Give a false major and false contact information; it's the only way to be safe.

Drakkith said:
I just want to add this. Almost without exception I find that people who are almost always truthful, even about little things, are happier and experience less drama and grief in their lives. People that lie, ESPECIALLY about the little things tend to have far more grief, drama, and pain in their lives. Why? Because they bring it upon themselves in my opinion. Because when people find out you lie to them they stop being friendly, they sometimes actively work to cause you problems, or if they are decent people they simply leave you to your lies and never speak to you again. You lose one of the most important things you can have between yourself and other people. Trust.
Totally agree. One more thing to add is that telling the truth about yourself, especially if your instinct is to hide certain aspects for fear of rejection/ridicule, is a good way to become more comfortable about who you are. When you do meet people who not only accept but value you as you are (but still challenge you when they think you're in the wrong) you'll value it all the more and all that fear will go away. You'll be able to proudly tell people things you think they think are negative because you know there are people who like you for it anyway and if someone doesn't like it well you probably won't like them anyway.

Drakkith said:

Great post, Drakkith. You're wise beyond your years.

Excellent place to end.

<h2>What do I tell girls I am majoring in?</h2><p>1. What is your major? <br>Answer: My major is the subject or field of study that I am focusing on in college. </p><p>2. Why did you choose your major? <br>Answer: I chose my major because it aligns with my interests and career goals. </p><p>3. What kind of classes do you take for your major? <br>Answer: The classes I take for my major are specific to the subject or field of study, and they help me gain knowledge and skills in that area. </p><p>4. What career opportunities are available with your major? <br>Answer: There are many career opportunities available with my major, including jobs in research, education, and various industries related to my field of study. </p><p>5. How has your major impacted your perspective on the world? <br>Answer: My major has broadened my perspective and deepened my understanding of the subject, as well as how it relates to society and the world around us. </p>

What do I tell girls I am majoring in?

1. What is your major?
Answer: My major is the subject or field of study that I am focusing on in college.

2. Why did you choose your major?
Answer: I chose my major because it aligns with my interests and career goals.

3. What kind of classes do you take for your major?
Answer: The classes I take for my major are specific to the subject or field of study, and they help me gain knowledge and skills in that area.

4. What career opportunities are available with your major?
Answer: There are many career opportunities available with my major, including jobs in research, education, and various industries related to my field of study.

5. How has your major impacted your perspective on the world?
Answer: My major has broadened my perspective and deepened my understanding of the subject, as well as how it relates to society and the world around us.