Solving the Stopping Force of an Arrow Shot into Hay

• Thread starter askthefool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, an arrow with a mass of 20 grams is shot horizontally into a bale of hay at a velocity of 60 m/s and penetrates 20 cm before stopping. The average stopping force on the arrow can be found using the equation W = -(F * d), where W is the work done by the stopping force, F is the force, and d is the distance traveled. By using a kinematic equation, the answer can be found to be 360 N, but this is not the correct answer. The correct answer is 180 N, as there is no need for work, just a simple F = ma problem.
askthefool
An arrow of mass 20 grams is shot horizontally into a bale of hay with a velocity of 60 m/s. It penetrates a debpt of 20 CM before stopping.

What is the average stopping force acting on the arrow?

I've been doing

W = -F*D
W = -(ma)*d

I'm finding a by using a kinematic equation, v (final ) ^2 = v (initial ) ^ 2 + 2 a (delta) x.

The answer I'm getting is 360 N, but that is not the correct answer. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an idiot. Never mind. I misread to work done by the stopping force. 180 is the right answer for those that care. There is no need for work at all, just a simple F = ma problem.

If misreading the question makes one an idiot, I'm an idiot many times over for trasngressions as an undergrad :(

1. How do you determine the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay?

The stopping force of an arrow shot into hay can be determined by measuring the depth of penetration of the arrow into the hay. This can be done by placing a ruler or measuring tape behind the hay and measuring the distance the arrow went in.

2. What factors can affect the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay?

The stopping force of an arrow shot into hay can be affected by the density and moisture content of the hay, the weight and speed of the arrow, as well as the angle at which the arrow is shot.

3. How can the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay be used in practical applications?

The stopping force of an arrow shot into hay can be used in archery and hunting to determine the effectiveness of different types of arrows and bows, as well as to gauge the strength and accuracy of a person's shot.

4. Can the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay be compared to other materials?

Yes, the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay can be compared to other materials such as wood, foam, or gel. This can help in determining the best material for arrow penetration and impact.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when testing the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when testing the stopping force of an arrow shot into hay. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring a safe shooting distance, and having a clear and designated area for shooting.