Harmonic Motion Problems: Solving for Maximum Speed and Velocity after Collision

• Thread starter ness9660
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the first problem involves a 66.3 g mass attached to an unstressed vertical spring of constant 63.5 Nm. The mass is dropped and the maximum speed can be found using Newton's second law with the acceleration of gravity being 9.8 m/s^2. The second problem involves a 1.6 kg object moving at 6.5 m/s colliding with a 1.2 kg object initially at rest. After the collision, the 1.6 kg object has a velocity of 0.88 m/s at a 46 degree angle from its initial line of motion. The speed of the 1.2 kg object after the collision can be found using Newton's second
ness9660
1. A 66.3 g mass is attached to the end of
an unstressed vertical spring (of constant
63.5 Nm) and then dropped.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 :
What is its maximum speed? Answer in
units of m/s.

Im not quite sure that I understand what this problem is saying. Is the block hanging from the spring? Is it on top of the spring? I am not sure how this system is setup, but beyond that it is a harmonic motion problem, correct?

2.A(n) 1.6 kg object moving at a speed of
6.5 m/s strikes a(n) 1.2 kg object initially
at rest. Immediately after the collision, the
1.6 kg object has a velocity of 0.88 m/s di-
rected 46 degrees from its initial line of motion.
What is the speed of the 1.2 kg object
immediately after the collision? Answer in
units of m/s.

Ive been doing it like this:
X direction: m1i*v1i=m1i*v1f*cos(46) + m2*v2f*cos(46)

Y direction: m1*v1i=m1*v1f*sin(46) + m2*v2f*sin(46)

and then v2f= sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

However this is apparently wrong, am I close in my approach to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the other end of the spring is attached to a ceiling. If that is the case, then you can apply Newton's second law to a point where the mass has moved a distance x from it's equilibrium position.

mg - kx = m d^2 x/ dt^2 and solve for dx/dt. That will lead you to the maximum velocity.

X direction: m1i*v1i=m1i*v1f*cos(46) + m2*v2f*cos(46)
Y direction: m1*v1i=m1*v1f*sin(46) + m2*v2f*sin(46)

You have assumed that mass m2 travels in the same direction as m1 after the collision. This assumption is wrong. Assume that m2 travell in a direction theta with respect to the original direction of m1.

m1i*v1i=m1i*v1f*cos(46) + m2*v2f*cos(theta)
0 =m1*v1f*sin(46) - m2*v2f*sin(theta)

solve for theta.

What are some common reasons for getting stuck on a problem?

There can be various reasons why someone might get stuck on a problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, not having enough information or resources, or simply having a mental block. It is important to take a step back and assess the situation to determine the root cause of being stuck.

How can I overcome being stuck on a problem?

One way to overcome being stuck on a problem is by taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh mind. This can help with gaining a new perspective and potentially finding a solution. Another approach is to seek help from others, such as colleagues or experts in the field, who may be able to offer new insights and ideas.

What are some strategies for problem-solving?

Some strategies for problem-solving include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming possible solutions, and testing out different approaches. It can also be helpful to look at the problem from different angles and to think outside the box.

How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future, it is important to continuously develop problem-solving skills. This can be done by practicing regularly, seeking feedback, and learning from mistakes. It is also helpful to keep an open mind and be willing to try new approaches.

When should I ask for help with a problem?

It is important to know when to ask for help with a problem. If you have exhausted all your resources and are still unable to find a solution, it may be time to seek help. Additionally, if the problem is time-sensitive or has a significant impact, it is best to ask for help sooner rather than later.