Solving Differential Equations in Maple

In summary, the conversation was about someone having trouble setting initial conditions when solving differential equations in Maple. They provided an equation and their desired method of solving it, but it did not work. Another person suggested a different approach using the D operator, which the original person was not familiar with. They expressed their gratitude for the help.
juef
Hey all,

I'm having trouble setting initial conditions when solving differential equations in Maple. Here's the equation:

[tex]\theta(t)''+4\pi^2 sin(\theta(t))=0[/tex], with [tex]\theta(0)=A[/tex] and [tex]\theta'(0)=B[/tex] as initial conditions.

I'd like to solve it with a command like:
solution:=dsolve({diff(theta(t), t, t) + 4*Pi*sin(theta(t)=0, init_conds},theta(t),numeric,range=0..4);

with something like:
init_conds:={theta(0)=A, diff(theta, t)=B);

But it seems Maple doesn't like my way of doing things... I've searched the help file, but couldn't find one that suits my problem.

Anyone? o:) Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:

dsol:=(A,B)->dsolve({(D@@2)(theta)(t)+4*Pi^2*sin(theta(t)), theta(0)=A, D(theta)(0)=B}, numeric);

then the command

dsol(a,b)(T);

will evaluate the solution with ICs A = a, B = b, at t = T.

here is what i did
doesnt give u a nice solution but it works nonetheless
(student):
diff(theta(t),t,t)+4*Pi*Pi*sin(theta(t))=0;
dsolve({%,theta(0)=A,D(theta)(0)=B},theta(t));

perhaps if u plugged in some values instead of "A" and "B" it might give u something more exciting

Man, I didn't know about that D operator, the only thing I used was diff. Your help is extremely appreciated. Thanks a bunch both of you! See my appreciation in the attachment! :smile:

Attachments

• Sans titre.GIF
    Sans titre.GIF
    6 KB · Views: 524

What is Maple?

Maple is a computer algebra system (CAS) that is used for solving mathematical problems, including differential equations. It uses symbolic computation to manipulate mathematical expressions and solve equations.

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model and describe various physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

How does Maple solve differential equations?

Maple uses a variety of algorithms and methods to solve differential equations, including analytical, numerical, and series solutions. It also has built-in functions for solving specific types of differential equations, such as ordinary and partial differential equations.

What are the advantages of using Maple for solving differential equations?

Maple allows for quick and accurate solutions to complex differential equations, as well as the ability to visualize and manipulate the equations and their solutions. It also has a user-friendly interface and can handle a wide range of mathematical problems.

Are there any limitations to using Maple for solving differential equations?

While Maple is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it does have its limitations. Some equations may be too complex for Maple to handle, and it may not always provide the most efficient solution. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques of solving differential equations in order to effectively use Maple.