Current when resistors are connected in series.

In summary: Resistors do not reduce current. The same amount of current that enters a resistor leaves the resistor.
ashwanibansal
So, I was studying about electricity and I came to the topic of connecting resistors(or resistances) in series or parallel...

So the definition of resistors in series said that:
Resistors are said to be connected in parallel if they are joined end to end and the same current flows through each resistor when a potential difference is applied across the combination.

So if the definition of the resistance is obstruction to the flow of the electrons when during electron drift collide with the atoms.

How can the strength of current remain same when the first resistor only, reduce it.

There was a similar thread regarding this query, but I didn't understand it. So I am posting this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashwanibansal said:
So the definition of resistors in series said that:
Resistors are said to be connected in parallel if they are joined end to end and the same current flows through each resistor when a potential difference is applied across the combination.
Yes, resistors in series have the same current flowing through them. (I assume that you mean "series" not "parallel".)

How can the strength of current remain same when the first resistor only, reduce it.
Not sure what you mean. If you change the total resistance (while keeping the applied voltage constant), you'll get a different current.

Doc Al said:
Yes, resistors in series have the same current flowing through them. (I assume that you mean "series" not "parallel".) Not sure what you mean. If you change the total resistance (while keeping the applied voltage constant), you'll get a different current.

I am trying to understand why the current in resistors that are wired in series is the same and I meant that, resistance is supposed to reduce the current. So if the current is reduced after it passes through one resistor, let's say from 10A to 7A...how in the world will it be the same current in that subsequent resistor?

Last edited:
Resistors do NOT reduce current!

Suppose that you had a component which had an input current, I, and an output current I-δ. That would mean that the component would gain a net charge of t δ. In a very short amount of time, it would become so strongly charged that it would explode!

This does NOT happen. Resistors do not reduce current. The same amount of current that enters a resistor leaves the resistor.

What resistors do is enforce a proportionality between current and resistance by Ohm's law, V=IR. This means that for any voltage across the resistor there is a corresponding current through the resistor. If you fix the voltage and vary the resistance than that proportionality means that for a larger resistance the current will be smaller. But it does not ever mean that the current entering the resistor is less than the current exiting.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, sir...
Really cleared my doubt...

You are welcome, glad to help!

What is the formula for calculating the total resistance of resistors connected in series?

The formula for calculating the total resistance of resistors connected in series is R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R represents the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. represent the individual resistances.

How does adding resistors in series affect the overall current?

When resistors are connected in series, the overall current decreases because the total resistance increases.

What happens to the voltage across each resistor in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the resistors. This means that each resistor will have a fraction of the total voltage, with the sum of the individual voltages equaling the total voltage.

Can resistors in series have different values?

Yes, resistors in series can have different values. However, the total resistance will still be the sum of all the individual resistances.

What is the purpose of connecting resistors in series?

Connecting resistors in series can be used to increase the overall resistance in a circuit. This can be useful for controlling the amount of current flowing through the circuit.