Switching from High Energy Physics to condensed matter theory

In summary, the speaker is a master student considering pursuing a PhD in condensed matter theory instead of astrophysics. They are seeking advice on the best course of action and considering the job market for both fields.
Sil3nt
Hello,

I am a master student, currently starting a master thesis on plasma astrophysics after a master focused on high energy theory (lots of QFT and particle physics, with some supersymmetry, string theory...).
I already have funding to continue my master thesis as a PhD, but I am getting interested in condensed matter theory, and I am thinking of returning to my university for another semester or two (which would make me finish my master's in 2.5-3years instead of 2) to take some classes in solid state, and see if I can do my PhD in that field. I am also a bit anxious about continuing into astrophysics, as the prospects in that field are not great...
Unfortuneatly I didn't do much condensed matter before, so I doubt a professor would take me as a PhD student right now, but on the other hand I am afraid that taking an extra year to do something completely different will look horrible on my CV, and the worst thing that could happen is finding myself 1 year from now with 0 phd positions after a 3year masters...
Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I can give is to speak to your advisor or another professor at your university who specializes in condensed matter theory. They will be able to provide you with the best advice based on your specific situation and experience. It is important to consider all options before making a decision, so it might also be helpful to talk to other students who have gone through similar experiences to get a better understanding of what you could expect. Additionally, you should research the job market for both fields to determine which would be the most suitable for you. That way, you can make an informed decision on where to focus your efforts.

What is the difference between High Energy Physics and Condensed Matter Theory?

High Energy Physics (HEP) is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fundamental particles and their interactions at high energies. This includes topics such as particle accelerators, quantum field theory, and the search for new particles. On the other hand, Condensed Matter Theory (CMT) focuses on the study of the physical properties of materials in the condensed state, such as solids and liquids. This includes topics such as superconductivity, magnetism, and phase transitions.

Why would someone switch from High Energy Physics to Condensed Matter Theory?

There are many reasons why someone may choose to switch from HEP to CMT. One common reason is a change of research interests or a desire for a new challenge. CMT also offers a wider range of applications and opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations. Additionally, the experimental techniques used in CMT are often more accessible and less costly compared to those used in HEP.

What skills from High Energy Physics are transferable to Condensed Matter Theory?

Both HEP and CMT require a strong foundation in theoretical physics and mathematics. Many of the mathematical tools and techniques used in HEP, such as quantum field theory and group theory, are also applicable in CMT. Additionally, both fields involve data analysis and interpretation, as well as the ability to design and conduct experiments.

Are there any challenges in transitioning from High Energy Physics to Condensed Matter Theory?

One challenge in transitioning from HEP to CMT is the need to learn new experimental techniques and methods. In HEP, researchers often work with large, complex particle detectors, while in CMT, they may work with more traditional laboratory equipment. There may also be a learning curve in understanding the unique properties and behaviors of condensed matter systems compared to fundamental particles.

What are some potential career paths for someone switching from High Energy Physics to Condensed Matter Theory?

There are many career paths available for those with a background in HEP who transition to CMT. Some may choose to work in academia as a professor or researcher, while others may pursue careers in industry, such as in materials science or technology development. Additionally, there are opportunities in government agencies and national laboratories for those with expertise in CMT, particularly in areas such as energy and environmental research.