Time for Object to Fall Based on Center of Gravity

In summary, the problem involves two gates with 81 vertical pickets and two horizontal support bars made of holo rectangular tubes. The pickets are 2" x 2" x 3/16" box beams and the support bars are 4"x6"x3/16" box beams. One gate has an x-axis center of gravity 5 inches away from the instantaneous center, while the other gate has a center of gravity 7 inches away. The task is to determine the time it takes for each gate to fall over assuming no external support. The given information includes the area moment of inertias of the beams and the weight per foot. The proposed solution involves using a moment equation and kinematics for angular motion, but
Dragon M.
Homework Statement
This has a fairly long problem statement, so I'll condense it.

There are two gates with 81 vertical pickets and two horizontal support bars. These are holo rectangular tubes. The pickets are 2" x 2" x 3/16" box beams and support bars are 4"x6"x3/16" Box Beams.

One gate has an x-axis center of gravity 5 inches away from the instantaneous center (y is the center of the gate). The second gate has an x-axis center of gravity 7 inches away from the instantaneous center.

I am to find the time it takes for each of these gates to fall over assuming neither of the gates are held up by anything and will just fall over.

Given are the AREA moment of inertias of each individual holo beam as well as the weight/ft of each.

What I've Done

I planned to do a moment equation where:

Total Weight * (X Length of Center of Gravity to IC) = (Mass of Gate) * (Angular Acceleration) * (Magnitude of Length of Center of Gravity to IC)^2 + (Center Moment of Inertia) * (Angular Acceleration)

Then, I would solve for the angular acceleration and use kinematics for angular motion ( Theta_f^2 = Theta_i^2 + 2*(alpha)*(time) ). I came at an impasse when I tried to find the center moment of inertia for these beams, when I'm given the AREA moment of inertia, so I can't apply parallel axis theorem (I + mr^2).

I'd like to know if this is even the correct direction to go, or if I should be looking at something else completely? If it is the way to go, how do I move forward?

I've attached the picture for the full problem statement at these links:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5915/img0196dm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/4456/img0197mh.jpg

Any help will be massively appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to set up a spreadsheet so that you can calculate the mass properties of the gate (total mass, c.g., mass moments of inertia). You will have to go back to the derivation of the mass moment of inertia and derive a new formula for calculating the mass moment of inertia of the pickets and cross beams given the information you have from the cross section properties.

On the whole, a very interesting problem!

1. How does center of gravity affect the time it takes for an object to fall?

The center of gravity of an object plays a significant role in determining its stability and motion. The closer the center of gravity is to the base, the more stable the object is. As an object falls, its center of gravity shifts towards the ground, causing it to accelerate faster.

2. Does the shape of an object affect its time to fall based on center of gravity?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its time to fall based on center of gravity. Objects with a lower center of gravity, such as a pyramid, will fall faster than objects with a higher center of gravity, such as a tall tower.

3. Is the time for an object to fall based on center of gravity affected by air resistance?

Yes, the time for an object to fall based on center of gravity is affected by air resistance. As an object falls, it experiences air resistance, which can slow down its descent. This means that the time for the object to fall may be longer than if it were falling in a vacuum.

4. How does the mass of an object influence its time to fall based on center of gravity?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the time for it to fall based on center of gravity. However, objects with a larger mass will have a higher center of gravity, making them less stable and potentially causing them to fall faster.

5. What factors besides center of gravity can impact the time for an object to fall?

Besides center of gravity, the time for an object to fall can also be influenced by the force of gravity, air resistance, and the initial velocity of the object. These factors can all affect the acceleration of the object and therefore impact the time it takes to fall.