Fermi energy approximation for white dwarfs

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of white dwarfs and the assumption that the electrons have a temperature of zero. This is due to the huge degeneracies in these stars, preventing the electrons from moving and resulting in a white dwarf that acts like a solid and glows white. The conversation also touches on the production of heat in white dwarfs and the fact that they start out hot but take a long time to cool down.
Guffie
Hello,

I have read several articles/websites which talk about modelling white dwarfs,

In all of these papers they state that it can be assumed the electrons have temperature zero, i.e.
T<<T_fermi.

I haven't been able to find a solid explanation of why this is approximation is possible,

Is it due to the huge degeneracies in these stars which means that each of the electrons can reside in a ground state -> so their temperature can be considered as zero?

I just think its strange that this assumption is possible considering the actual temperature of these stars is enormous.

While I'm asking about things of this topic, I have also seen people state when E_fermi>>m_e c^2 relativistic effects become important. Is this because it implies the particles are moving very quickly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it is due to the degeneracy pressure not allowing electrons movement. I just had a thought would the white dwarf act as a solid as such where it has energy bands instead of energy levels? is this why it glows white?

Johnahh said:
I believe it is due to the degeneracy pressure not allowing electrons movement. I just had a thought would the white dwarf act as a solid as such where it has energy bands instead of energy levels? is this why it glows white?

Rather ironically, it glows white because of blackbody radiation. It's hot enough that the details of energy levels of the particles in the star don't make much difference. So it produces a spectrum that does not favor any particular frequency, nor have any missing frequencies. And so, it looks white.

Assuming it is white. If the temperature is too high or too low such that the peak of the blackbody curve is not in visible, it can look non-white. Colder looks red, hotter looks blue or violet.

where is the heat being produced in a white dwarf? I was under the assumption fusion had stopped.

Hrm,

So your saying that, as there are a large number of degeneracies in white dwarfs, due to the pauli exclusion principle each electron is somewhat stuck in it's state as neighbouring levels are occupied, so the electrons are essentially at rest? So the mean kinetic energy is zero and hence the temperature associated to the electrons is zero?

Johnahh said:
where is the heat being produced in a white dwarf? I was under the assumption fusion had stopped.

There is little or no heat being produced in white dwarfs. They do however start out very hot (up to 40000 K) and are very compact so it takes them trillions of years to cool down completely.

1. What is the Fermi energy approximation for white dwarfs?

The Fermi energy approximation for white dwarfs is a model used to estimate the maximum possible energy of electrons in a white dwarf star. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and assumes that the electrons in the star behave like a degenerate gas, meaning they are tightly packed and have high energies.

2. How is the Fermi energy approximation calculated?

The Fermi energy approximation is calculated using the Chandrasekhar equation, which takes into account the mass and radius of the white dwarf, as well as the fundamental constants of nature. It is a relatively simple equation, but it provides a good estimate of the Fermi energy for most white dwarfs.

3. Why is the Fermi energy important in white dwarf stars?

The Fermi energy is important in white dwarf stars because it determines the maximum energy that electrons can have in the star. This, in turn, affects the physical properties of the star, such as its density and temperature. The Fermi energy also plays a role in the process of electron degeneracy, which is what keeps white dwarfs from collapsing under their own gravity.

4. How does the Fermi energy approximation differ from the real energy of electrons in a white dwarf?

The Fermi energy approximation is a simplified mathematical model that does not take into account all of the complexities of electron behavior in white dwarfs. In reality, the energy of electrons in a white dwarf is affected by factors such as temperature, magnetic fields, and the presence of other particles. However, the Fermi energy approximation is still a useful tool for understanding the general behavior of electrons in these stars.

5. Can the Fermi energy approximation be applied to other types of stars?

Yes, the Fermi energy approximation can be applied to other types of stars, such as neutron stars and even main sequence stars. However, the equation used to calculate the Fermi energy may need to be modified to account for the different properties of these stars. Additionally, the Fermi energy approximation is only applicable to stars that are in a state of electron degeneracy.