Storing and Transferring smell

In summary, storing and transferring smell involves capturing and preserving scents for later use, as well as transporting them from one location to another. This can be done through various methods such as using specialized containers, chemical compounds, or electronic devices. Smell can also be transferred through air currents, diffusion, or through the use of specialized tools such as scent transfer machines. This process is used in various industries such as perfume making, food and beverage production, and the creation of aromatherapy products. Proper storage and transfer of smell is crucial in maintaining the quality and potency of scents for their intended use.
.physics
Has anyone ever heard of or know about any technology that could capture , store or transfer smell in any form electronically or mechanically. Are there any researches being conducted in universities or research facilities regarding this topic or have there been any achievements so far.

I would highly appreciate if anybody has their own concept about how this could be done.

I have few of my own ideas about it and would be happy to invite people into discussion who are interested in this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check here...there are some clear concepts about what constitutes 'smell', such as volatile chemicals. So one could convert spectrographic analysis of compounds to olfactory impressions..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell_receptors

Volatile small molecule odorants, non-volatile proteins, and non-volatile hydrocarbons may all produce olfactory sensations.

As far as I know, space exploration vehicles utilize spectrographic analysis to detect chemical/element analysis. ... so far as I know [and it is NOT much] smell may be rather subjective...consider how dogs greet each other versus how humans do it...I prefer a handshake, but the dogs seems to find no offensive odors...just impressions. THAT might be really difficult to capture if you are headed in such a direction.

Depending on where you are headed, you might consider biomedical electronics...but I have no knowledge what has been developed there, if anything.

PS: check here for some visual impression of spectrographic analysis..all in electrical format for convenient storage and transmission...

https://www.google.com/search?q=spe...DGCrKp4APskYCQBw&ved=0CFsQsAQ&biw=800&bih=509

Thanks for that info. I am learning a few things. I think the concept would be much clear if someone directly or indirectly involved in related project would put some insight into it. This topic has been one of my curiosity for a long time. We can figure out various possibilities and usefulness if this technique were ever possible.

May be we could expect something like in this Google's site http://www.google.com/nose in near future. Many may not have known about this Google prank so far. Check it out it's fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
.physics, sorry, but there is no "funny stuff" contained in these two websites. They describe the storing, the transfer, and the scents electrically and mechanically.

Here is a commercial company that provides scent cartridges, the means to disperse the scents, with over 1,600 quality scents to choose from.
http://www.scentair.com/why-scentair-solutions/

Here’s a review of “smellvertising”:
http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/viral-marketing-smellvertising-3d-billboards-and-you/

Reading the prior post, and I did not follow the links, reminds me that for a while there were 'scratch and sniff' scents..as for soaps and perfumes...small scratch offs pasted in magazines...all 'mechanical'...

What is the purpose of storing and transferring smell?

The purpose of storing and transferring smell is to preserve and transport specific scents for various purposes, such as creating perfumes or conducting scientific experiments.

How is smell stored and transferred in scientific research?

In scientific research, smell is often stored and transferred using specialized equipment such as gas chromatography machines or chemical storage containers. These methods allow for precise control and measurement of scents.

Can smell be stored and transferred digitally?

Currently, there is no technology available to store and transfer smell digitally. While there have been some advancements in this area, it is still not possible to capture and transmit smells in the same way as images or sounds.

What are the challenges of storing and transferring smell?

One of the main challenges of storing and transferring smell is the volatility of scents. Smells can easily dissipate or change over time, making it difficult to preserve them accurately. Another challenge is the complexity of scents, as they are often made up of a combination of different molecules.

What are the potential applications of storing and transferring smell?

The potential applications of storing and transferring smell are vast. They can range from creating personalized perfumes and scents to analyzing and identifying different odors in forensic investigations. It can also be used in food and beverage industries to create artificial flavors and scents.