Why vacuum tubes can not be made small

• Thread starter planety_vuki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary: In fact, they are not a million miles from a vacuum tube, aamof. They work on the effect of the volts on the gate, like the grid of a valve.At the other end of the power range, there is still no substitute for the several hundred kW Radio Transmitting Valve or the 50kW UHF Klystron, both, very much vacuum tubes. There's no better way of powering your microwave oven than the Magnetron, still.
planety_vuki
Why vacuum tubes can not be made small sized ? I'm talking about millimeter to micrometer or maybe even nanometer size ranges ? Or can they be ?

This way electronic devices, for example computers, could be made they way they were made in the past but much smaller.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Even if you COULD make VTs really small, the glass enclosure for one would be HUGE compared to a single transistor on a wafer, AND the power consumption would be enormously higher. What could possibly be the point of reverting from an excellent technology to a vastly inferior one?

phinds said:
Even if you COULD make VTs really small, the glass enclosure for one would be HUGE compared to a single transistor on a wafer, AND the power consumption would be enormously higher. What could possibly be the point of reverting from an excellent technology to a vastly inferior one?

I think they would work without glass envelope for every each of them, istead the whole chip would be inside evacuated glass. Second, there is really no strong reason, I just like vacuum tubes, their operating principle is simpler than transistors. Also I simply just wander if they can be made at small sizes. I mean, would it work ?

Last edited by a moderator:
FETs are not a million miles from a vacuum tube, aamof. They work on the effect of the volts on the gate, like the grid of a valve.
At the other end of the power range, there is still no substitute for the several hundred kW Radio Transmitting Valve or the 50kW UHF Klystron, both, very much vacuum tubes. There's no better way of powering your microwave oven than the Magnetron, still.
Thermionic is far from dead, chaps. It's horses for courses.

Sophie hit the nail right on the head. As soon as I saw the title for this thread I thought of FETs.

1. Why are vacuum tubes not made small?

Vacuum tubes are not made small because they require a certain amount of space to function properly. The size of a vacuum tube is determined by its internal components, which need a specific amount of distance between them for the tube to operate correctly.

2. Can vacuum tubes be miniaturized?

While it is possible to make vacuum tubes smaller, there are limitations due to the physical properties of the materials used. As the size of the tube decreases, the distance between the components also decreases, which can lead to interference and decreased performance.

3. What materials are used in vacuum tubes?

Vacuum tubes are typically made of glass or metal, with metal electrodes and a vacuum inside. The electrodes are often made of tungsten or other metals with high melting points to withstand the high temperatures generated by the flow of electricity.

4. Are there any alternatives to vacuum tubes?

Yes, vacuum tubes have largely been replaced by solid-state components such as transistors and integrated circuits. These components are smaller, more reliable, and consume less power than vacuum tubes.

5. Why were vacuum tubes used in the past?

Vacuum tubes were the primary electronic components used before the invention of transistors in the 1950s. They were used in a variety of applications, including radios, televisions, and early computers. At the time, they were the most reliable and efficient means of amplifying and switching electrical signals.