High current battery switching without putting the load through the sw

In summary, the circuit is designed to switch between three power sources by turning the 4P switch. However, due to the body diode property of IGBTs, they will not work as intended and may result in losses.
Zardichar
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and came to here to ask for help on a project that I am trying to construct.

I have 3 lithium polymer batteries, one 7.4v, 11.1v, and 14.8v. The current draw will be around 150a for an extremely short period of time (a couple milliseconds) and then will settle to around 30a continuous.

I want to use a 1 pole, 4 position (1 for off) rotary switch, but none of them can sustain very high currents. So that is where I need your help.

I made the following circuit for it: (sorry for low quality)

attachment.php?attachmentid=8800&stc=1&d=1372128272.jpg

but I quickly realized that when the switch is turned to any of the positions, then the higher voltage battery would just dump current into the other two, so that would be very, very bad.

I was advised to use SSR's, but then, after looking up the prices on them, decided that it wouldn't really be feasible due to my low budget ($75) Maybe there is a way to imitate the function of an SSR with just MOSFETs? I don't need it to function with AC nor do I need complete isolation so that is why I am trying to favor MOSFETs.

Please correct anything that is wrong in this post and please help me with this project.

All comments are welcome and I thank you guys in advance!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
While it seems you want to use the 4P Switch to turn on the whole circuit, but why you need to switch the controll from battery to battery power but not the power legs? - I have no idea what or why you are tying to connect these three batteries - they really are not compatible.

As you describe the Higher voltage battery will dominate, but I would not say "dump current" - it will try to charge the lower voltage batteries and you will have multiple serious failures.

So what are you trying to accomplish?

Thank you for your response. I just read my OP again and did realize that I didn't state the purpose.

I want to be able to switch between these power sources by turning the 4P switch. They will all be feeding into the same output.

Thanks

If you use IGBT in each leg - they do not have body diode property, if selected without the Anti-Parallel integrated diode - so they will block each battery from feeding each other. A conservative estimate of 1.4V Vf x 30A ... 50 W of losses - may be more than you are looking for.

So I do now know what but I do not know why you want to switch the different batteries - to get different voltages, or some other purpose, to run them all down as far as possible?

Hello there,

I would recommend using a solid state relay (SSR) for high current battery switching. SSRs are specifically designed for switching high currents and can handle the current draw of your project. While they may be more expensive than MOSFETs, they are a safer and more reliable option for your application.

Another option you could consider is using a MOSFET-based circuit with a current limiting resistor. This would help prevent the higher voltage battery from dumping excessive current into the other two batteries. However, this may not be as effective as an SSR and could potentially be more complicated to design and implement.

In terms of your budget, I would suggest looking for a used or discounted SSR rather than trying to replicate its function with MOSFETs. It is important to prioritize safety and reliability in your project, especially when dealing with high current switching.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

What is high current battery switching?

High current battery switching refers to the process of switching a battery on or off while allowing a high amount of electrical current to flow through it. This is typically used in situations where a large amount of power needs to be supplied to a load, such as in industrial or automotive applications.

Why is it important to switch high current batteries without putting the load through the switch?

Switching high current batteries without putting the load through the switch helps to protect the switch from damage caused by the high amount of current. It also ensures that the load receives a consistent and uninterrupted power supply, which is crucial for sensitive equipment or machinery.

How is high current battery switching achieved without putting the load through the switch?

This can be achieved through the use of relays or solid-state switches. These devices act as a bridge between the battery and the load, allowing the battery to be switched on or off without interrupting the flow of current to the load.

What are the potential risks of not using high current battery switching?

Not using high current battery switching can result in damage to the switch, as well as the load. It can also lead to power surges or fluctuations, which can be dangerous for both equipment and personnel. Additionally, without proper switching, there is a risk of short-circuiting the battery, which can cause it to overheat and potentially catch fire.

Are there any alternative methods for high current battery switching?

Yes, there are other methods for high current battery switching, such as using a series of smaller batteries instead of one large battery. This can distribute the load and reduce the amount of current flowing through each battery, making it easier to switch without damaging the switch or load. Additionally, some advanced battery management systems have built-in protection and switching capabilities for high current applications.