Image processing: effect of illuminant on sRGB image

In summary, the task at hand is to generate an image under illuminant A using a given sRGB image file under D65. This can be achieved by utilizing the effect of illuminant, B = LA, where A is the color matching function, L is a diagonalized version of illuminant A, and B is the resulting color matching function. To convert the sRGB image to XYZ tristimulus values, the inverse XYZ CMF can be used. However, since the CMF, A, is not square, a matrix equation B' = (A'Q)^-1 A' must be solved to find the new color matching functions with associated primaries Q.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Assume an image file is sRGB under D65. Generate the image as it would appear under illuminant A ( a 171x1 matrix).

Homework Equations

effect of illuminant:

B = LA

where A is the a color matching function, L is a diagonalized version of illuminant A, and B is the color matching function as a product of the illuminant. CMF's have the dimensions mxn where n is the number of primaries, and m is the sample count of the function. n is usually 3 because it's related to the 3 types of cones in the eye.

t = A'g

where g is the sampled spectrum, and t is the "tristimulus value". If using the color matching function for the CIEXYZ color-space, the tristimulus value has the form [X;Y;Z]. There are some manipulations to transform XYZ into other color-spaces (often utilizing a "white point", such as CIERGB, CIELab, etc).

The effect of the spectrum due to illuminant:

g = Lr

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to really start here. I have sRGB with a white point D65, but since this is a tristimulus value, I really only know how to convert it to other tristimulus values. I could transform each pixel from sRGB to XYZ, multiply by the inverse XYZ CMF to convert back to a spectrum, adjust the XYZ CMF to account for the illuminant, adjust the spectrum for the illuminant, and use these to get a new XYZ tristimulus value, and convert back to sRGB...

The kink in that plan was that the CMF, A, is not square, so I can't take the inverse. So either there is some linear algebra magic I'm not seeing, or there is something I can do with this illuminant vector to the tristimulus values.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haha...not a lot of image processing gurus out there I suppose?

I think I may have found a clue to this problem, it is in this formula:

B' = (A'Q)^-1 A'

Where B is a new color matching functions with associated primaries Q by using color matching function A (which is associated with Primaries P). There is a note that says the columns of A'Q are the amount of the new primaries Q required to match the old primaries P, and that it will be a 3x3 matrix.

Another formula says that if d is the color vector (tristimulus value?) associated with primaries P and d is the color vector associated with primaries Q, then

d = (A'Q)^-1c

So I have A, and I can get B using the luminance formula from the first post, and I have P because the primaries of RGB are well known...if I can find Q I think I can get it using the last formula.

I'm not really sure how to solve this matrix equation for Q:

B' = (A'Q)^-1 A'

If A'Q is really a 3x3 matrix, and A' is a 3x171, then that means Q needs to be a 171x3 to get a 3x3 output.

1. What is image processing?

Image processing is the technique of manipulating and enhancing an image using computer algorithms to improve its quality, clarity, and overall appearance.

2. How does illuminant affect an sRGB image?

Illuminant, or the type of light source, can have a significant impact on the color and overall appearance of an sRGB image. Different types of light, such as natural sunlight or fluorescent lighting, can produce varying color temperatures and affect the way colors appear in an image.

3. What is sRGB color space?

sRGB (standard Red Green Blue) is the most commonly used color space for digital images. It is a standardized color space that defines the range of colors that can be displayed on electronic devices such as computer monitors and digital cameras.

4. How can image processing be used to correct illuminant effects on an sRGB image?

Image processing techniques such as color correction and white balance can be used to correct for the effects of illuminant on an sRGB image. These algorithms can adjust the color temperature and balance of the image to produce more accurate and natural-looking colors.

5. What are some common tools used in image processing to adjust for illuminant effects?

Some common tools used in image processing to adjust for illuminant effects include color balance, levels and curves adjustments, and white balance tools. These tools allow for precise adjustments to be made to an image's color temperature and balance to correct for the effects of illuminant.