Find the calorific value of fuel, given emission data

In summary, the speaker has data from an exhaust gas analyzer and is looking for a way to find the calorific value of a fuel using that data. They ask for assistance and mention the possibility of using a formula based on the ratios of the products. They also express gratitude for Russ' help.
salmansl
I have data from exhaust gas analyzer, and I have to find the calorific value or the heating value of that particular fuel using that data. Can anyone show me how to do that please.
Or if there is any other way to find the calorific value of fuel.
The data is in the attached pic

Attachments

• Emission data.jpg
    Emission data.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 458
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You can use that data to generate the formula for the chemical reaction using the ratios of the products.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

You can use that data to generate the formula for the chemical reaction using the ratios of the products.

Thanks a lot Russ, its been very helpful.

1. What is the meaning of calorific value of fuel?

Calorific value of fuel is the amount of heat produced by burning a unit mass or volume of fuel. It is measured in units of energy per unit of fuel (kJ/kg or BTU/lb).

2. How is calorific value of fuel determined?

Calorific value of fuel is determined by measuring the amount of heat released during the combustion of a known amount of fuel. This is usually done in a controlled environment, such as a bomb calorimeter.

3. What is the relationship between calorific value and emission data?

The higher the calorific value of fuel, the more energy it can produce when burned. This means that fuels with higher calorific values tend to produce more emissions, as more fuel is needed to produce the same amount of energy.

4. Why is it important to know the calorific value of fuel?

Knowing the calorific value of fuel is important in determining its efficiency and potential environmental impact. It allows us to compare different types of fuels and choose the most suitable and sustainable option for our energy needs.

5. How can I calculate the calorific value of fuel using emission data?

To calculate the calorific value of fuel using emission data, you can use the formula: Calorific value = Energy produced / Mass of fuel burned. The energy produced can be obtained from the emission data, which usually includes the amount of heat or energy released during combustion.