Is my Nexus 7 battery condition causing slow charging?

In summary, the battery on this tablet is not holding a charge as well as it used to, and it might be due to a bad connector.
LeDragonian
Hi All

I am among the people who bought the nexus 7 without the data capability and pretty much the first generation of its kind when it first appeared at Google's store. After almost a year and a half I have noticed problems with the battery. It's not much of a problem as it is my annoyance with how the battery recharges. I think during the earliest date of its usage the device was pretty quick at recharging but now I think it takes about an hour to go from e.g. 35% to 60% during recharging.

Is it a sign that the battery is going to be bad?

Device specs: wifi, 16GB Harddrive, 7 inch display, and with android version 4.3.
Bought when it first came out.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think maybe it is a sign that the charger isn't working, or that you are now trying to charge from a USB port (500ma limit) as opposed to the ASUS charger (2A limit).

The tablet communicates with the charger or USB to determine the charge current allowed by the charger. People have reported problems with cheap OEM cables. Have you changed cables?

Sometimes the tablet USB data port is not working (bad connector) so it will only charge at 100ma. Can you plug it into USB and communicate with it from your PC? Try cleaning the connector in the tablet (very carefully).

When a lithium battery wears out it manifests itself as higher internal resistance. It is possible to build a charger that will be affected by that and it ends up going into voltage mode too soon and then charges slowly. I'm not sure if the Nexus 7 behaves that way. But if that were the case it would charge quickly from 0 to 60% or so (guessing) and then slow down.

This thread discusses some of what I said:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/246686-very-slow-charging.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
The third paragraph in your message proves highly useful to this case, however, what is really weird about my tablet is that when I connect it to the outlet via my Galaxy S4's charging cable and adapter, it really charges up quickly..maybe too quickly if you ask me.

I am not upset about at all. It just bugs me that my Nexus 7 cable cannot achieve the same goal. Maybe the cable has gone bad? I should also try cleaning it like you said.

1. What is the average lifespan of a Nexus 7 battery?

The average lifespan of a Nexus 7 battery is approximately 2-3 years with regular usage. However, this can vary depending on factors such as usage patterns and environmental conditions.

2. How can I check the condition of my Nexus 7 battery?

To check the condition of your Nexus 7 battery, you can go to Settings > Battery and look at the Battery Usage graph. If the graph shows a steady decline in battery capacity, it may be time to consider replacing the battery.

3. Is it normal for my Nexus 7 battery to drain quickly?

No, it is not normal for a Nexus 7 battery to drain quickly. If you notice a significant and sudden decrease in battery life, it could be a sign of a faulty battery or an app draining the battery. Try restarting your device or checking for any app updates.

4. How can I extend the battery life of my Nexus 7?

To extend the battery life of your Nexus 7, you can try adjusting the screen brightness, turning off unnecessary features like Bluetooth and location services, and closing apps running in the background. Using battery-saving modes and keeping your device updated can also help prolong battery life.

5. Can I replace the battery of my Nexus 7 myself?

Yes, it is possible to replace the battery of a Nexus 7 yourself, but it requires some technical knowledge and special tools. It is recommended to have a professional replace the battery to avoid any damage to your device. If your device is still under warranty, it is best to contact the manufacturer for a battery replacement.