Future of Electrical Engineers

In summary, Electrical Engineers typically work with radioelectronics and deal with electricity and magnetism. They have a good job outlook and are involved in designing computers. Analyzing circuits is an important part of their career and they may also work with AutoCAD. However, not all engineers work in the field and some may have desk jobs. It is important to choose a major based on your interests rather than solely for a comfortable lifestyle. EEs may also have opportunities for entrepreneurship and starting their own companies.
Naeem
Q. What do most Electrical Engineers do typically in the real world? i.e what kinds of jobs do they hold?

What kind of jobs can EE major's do with a bachelor's degree?

Do they deal with circuits all the time in their careers?

Answers, ideas or criticisms appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A bachelors degree in Engineering is considered a professional degree (as long as its accredited by ABET - more info on www.abet.org if your program and school is accredited). Normally EE's deal with radioelectronics, particularly anywhere electricity and magnetism is involved. The future outlook is very good, as you can imagine all the computers are designed by EE's and CompEs. Analyzing circuits is an integral part of an EE, and yes, you'll be doing it for most of your career

Most EE's and CompE's I knew don't do EE. The same is true for a lot of engineering professions though. Granted I went to only decent state school.

Out of the 9 engineers that I am acquainted with, 2 are actually working as engineers. 1 EE who works extensively with AutoCAD and is involved with circuit design, the other is a ME, again extensive use of AutoCAD. The others have desk jobs and are basically paper pushers in large companies.

What EE Engieers Do

Hello, I don't know about others but I am an EE, have BE(EE), MS(Telecom), SEMC(WE) and a considerable experience of working for some years n i hate to say it but i agree engineers genrally r paper pushers but then these papers are really importnat like designs, improvements etc. But for practical purposes u have to be working in the field and not on a desk to get a real taste of the EE.

Regards
Ess ESS

come on guys don't scare me. i am just going to start EE this comming September, 2005. should i switch to ...? Thank you, Mika

No major is going to guarantee you a well-paying job that you enjoy every second. You should do what you interests you and not what will give you a that "comfortable" lifestyle.

My dad's an EE and after grad school he went off to work for General Electric in Schenectady NY (don't quite remember doing what). Then he started teaching at Union as a prof then at Carnegie-Mellon. A few years after CMU he started his own company that designs software for EE people (such as "Maxwell" if anyone's curious) and left teaching to go do that. Now that's probably a much wider range than most people accomplish, but it's a pretty good look at some things EEs are known to do.

1. What advancements can we expect in the field of electrical engineering in the future?

In the future, we can expect advancements in renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, as well as advancements in electric vehicle technology. There will also likely be advancements in communication systems, robotics, and automation.

2. Will the demand for electrical engineers increase in the future?

Yes, the demand for electrical engineers is expected to increase in the future as technology continues to advance and industries such as renewable energy, telecommunications, and transportation rely heavily on electrical engineers for design and implementation.

3. How will artificial intelligence impact the role of electrical engineers in the future?

Artificial intelligence (AI) is expected to play a significant role in the future of electrical engineering. It has the potential to automate certain tasks and improve efficiency in design processes. However, electrical engineers will still be needed to oversee and manage AI systems.

4. What skills will be most important for electrical engineers in the future?

In addition to technical knowledge and skills, soft skills such as adaptability, creativity, and problem-solving will be essential for electrical engineers in the future. The ability to adapt to new technologies and keep up with advancements will also be crucial.

5. How will the increasing use of renewable energy impact the job market for electrical engineers?

The increasing use of renewable energy sources will likely create more job opportunities for electrical engineers, particularly in the design and implementation of systems for renewable energy production. This shift towards sustainability will also require electrical engineers to have a strong understanding of green technologies and practices.