What is the correct way to calculate the discriminant in a quadratic equation?

In summary, when solving for x in a quadratic equation using the formula ##x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}##, it is important to correctly calculate the discriminant, which is determined by the values of a, b, and c in the equation. In the given example, the mistake was made in calculating the discriminant, resulting in incorrect solutions.
yungman
I know for ##ax^2+bx+c=0##,
[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Using ##x^2-3x-4=0##, we know it is equal to ##(x+1)(x-4)=0##. So ##x=-1## or ##x=4##.

but using the formula:

[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{9+4}}{2}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]

I cannot get -1 and 4! What happened?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I know for ##ax^2+bx+c=0##,
[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Using ##x^2-3x-4=0##, we know it is equal to ##(x+1)(x-4)=0##. So ##x=-1## or ##x=4##.

but using the formula:

[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{9+4}}{2}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]

I cannot get -1 and 4! What happened?

How are you calculating the discriminant [itex]\Delta = b^2-4ac[/itex]? Because you shouldn't be getting 13.
c = -4, not -1 which it seems that you've confused it for.

Likes 1 person
Mentallic said:
How are you calculating the discriminant [itex]\Delta = b^2-4ac[/itex]? Because you shouldn't be getting 13.
c = -4, not -1 which it seems that you've confused it for.

b=-3, a=1 and c=-4, so ##b^2-4ac##= 9+16=25.

Yes, I am missing the moon.

Thanks

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called quadratic because the highest power of x is 2.

Why is it important to solve quadratic equations?

Solving quadratic equations allows us to find the roots or solutions of the equation, which are the values of x that make the equation true. This is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance.

What are the methods for solving quadratic equations?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. Each method has its own advantages and can be used depending on the given equation.

How do you use the quadratic formula to solve an equation?

The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. To use the formula, plug in the values of a, b, and c and simplify the equation to find the two possible solutions for x.

Can all quadratic equations be solved?

Yes, all quadratic equations can be solved using the methods mentioned above. However, some equations may have irrational or complex solutions, which can be expressed as decimals or imaginary numbers.