Calculating Sales Change with Price Elasticity of Demand

• Thread starter EdmureTully
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elasticity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of sales number based on price elasticity and initial sales number. The formula for price elasticity of demand is given, and the attempt at solving the problem results in a value that is deemed incorrect. The conversation also mentions the need for a formula for Quantity as a function of price, and the suggestion to solve a differential equation to obtain it.
EdmureTully

Homework Statement

Given a price elasticity of 1.6 and an initial sales number of 10000 what would be the sales number if price went from 4.99 to 10.00?

Homework Equations

Price Elasticity of Demand = % Change in Quantity Demanded / % Change in Price

The Attempt at a Solution

1.6*200 *100 -10000

it gives me 220000, but that can't be right

Physics news on Phys.org
EdmureTully said:

Homework Statement

Given a price elasticity of 1.6 and an initial sales number of 10000 what would be the sales number if price went from 4.99 to 10.00?

Homework Equations

Price Elasticity of Demand = % Change in Quantity Demanded / % Change in Price

The Attempt at a Solution

1.6*200 *100 -10000

it gives me 220000, but that can't be right

What is the formula for Quantity as a function of price? It is the solution of a differential equation; first write out the equation, then solve it. Once you have done that it is a simple matter of substitution.

I don't have that formula. It's not even a homework problem. I just want to know how to determine the new quantity.

EdmureTully said:
I don't have that formula. It's not even a homework problem. I just want to know how to determine the new quantity.

You may not "have that formula", but I have told you what you need to do to get it. The rest is up to you.

What is price elasticity of demand?

Price elasticity of demand is a measure of how sensitive the quantity of a good or service demanded is to changes in its price. It is calculated as the percentage change in quantity demanded divided by the percentage change in price.

How is price elasticity of demand calculated?

Price elasticity of demand is calculated by taking the percentage change in quantity demanded and dividing it by the percentage change in price. The formula is: (Q2 - Q1) / ((Q2 + Q1) / 2) / (P2 - P1) / ((P2 + P1) / 2), where Q1 and Q2 represent the initial and final quantities demanded, and P1 and P2 represent the initial and final prices.

What does a high price elasticity of demand indicate?

A high price elasticity of demand indicates that the quantity demanded is very sensitive to changes in price. This means that small changes in price can result in large changes in the quantity demanded. In other words, consumers are very responsive to changes in price.

What factors affect price elasticity of demand?

There are several factors that can affect the price elasticity of demand, including the availability of substitutes, the necessity of the good or service, the proportion of income spent on the good or service, and the time period under consideration. Generally, goods and services that have close substitutes, are considered necessities, and represent a large portion of consumer income tend to have a higher price elasticity of demand.

Why is price elasticity of demand important?

Price elasticity of demand is important because it helps businesses and policymakers understand how changes in prices will affect consumer behavior and ultimately, sales. It can also be used to determine the optimal pricing strategy for a product or service. Additionally, price elasticity of demand can provide insights into consumer preferences and market trends, and can help businesses make more informed decisions about production, pricing, and marketing strategies.