Calculate Gate Source, Drain Current, and Source Voltage of a JFET

In summary, the conversation includes a problem involving Vg, R1, R2, and Vdd, as well as the attempt at a solution and a clarification about the given equation. The final response confirms that the problem has been solved and the test has been taken.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Uploaded

Homework Equations

Uploaded

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I started with is Vg=(R2/(R1+R2))Vdd - 10 = -7 Volts this is incorrect though I was told it is -4 V what did I do

Attachments

• electronics_Study.PNG
    electronics_Study.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,180
Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically after I solve for this I would get Kn and Id. Then I would set up an equation to find Vgs.

The voltage across the potential divider R1+R2 is 20V. So the voltage across R2 is..

20 * R2/(R1+R2) = 6V

So the gate is 6V above the -10V rail which is -4V.

Likes SShashank117 and DODGEVIPER13
Thanks man

What equation were you given that includes ka', W/L and Ka? These are not standard terms in a JFET model so you need to give us your equation(s).

Oh yah I got it all figured out man thanks just had the test too hope I did well

1. How do I calculate the gate source, drain current, and source voltage of a JFET?

To calculate the gate source, drain current, and source voltage of a JFET, you will need to use the following equations:
- Id = Idss * (1 - (Vgs/Vp))^2
- Vgs = Vp * (1 - sqrt(Id/Idss))
- Vs = Vp * sqrt(Id/Idss)

2. What is the significance of the Idss and Vp values in the JFET equation?

Idss, or the drain current at zero gate-source voltage, is a measure of the maximum current that can flow through the JFET. Vp, or the pinch-off voltage, is the voltage at which the JFET begins to saturate. These values are important as they determine the operating range and limits of the JFET.

3. Can the drain current in a JFET be negative?

Yes, the drain current in a JFET can be negative. This occurs when the drain-source voltage is reversed, resulting in a negative current flow from the drain to the source.

4. How does varying the gate-source voltage affect the drain current in a JFET?

Varying the gate-source voltage in a JFET can affect the drain current in two ways:
1. Increasing the gate-source voltage will decrease the drain current until it reaches a minimum value at Vp.
2. Further increasing the gate-source voltage beyond Vp will result in a sharp increase in the drain current.

5. What is the maximum drain current that can flow through a JFET?

The maximum drain current that can flow through a JFET is determined by its Idss value. The JFET will operate within its linear region until the drain current reaches this maximum value, after which it will enter saturation.