Are kids causing chaos on Yik Yak?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the anonymous messaging board app Yik Yak has caused uproar at schools and has been disabled in some areas due to concerns about bullying and inappropriate behavior. The app was created by two college students and was initially marketed to students at Southern colleges. Some see it as a way for students to express their frustrations with adults in charge, but others view it as a dangerous platform for negative behavior.
Computer science news on Phys.org
Never heard of it. Not surprised it exists though. Nothing schools can do about it. Wouldn't be surprised if in the near future a class on internet safety is mandatory for grade schools.

I have never heard of Yik Yak until now, but from what I've read in the LA Times article, the app sounds similar to Twitter.

Yes, it's basically an anonymous version of Twitter that broadcasts only within a restricted geographical area, e.g. within a school or college campus. It was created by two students at a small college.

Yik Yak app disabled in Chicago amid principals' worries (Chicago Tribune)

"The app was made for users college-age and above," Brooks Buffington said in an email to the Tribune.

Buffington developed Yik Yak with Tyler Droll, a classmate at South Carolina's Furman University. The app initially was marketed to students at Southern colleges as a way to connect with others on campus.

Nope, I don't Yik Yak. I just PhysicsForum... :tongue:

On the serious side, this would make a great sociological study. I would approach it with critical theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory#Postmodern_critical_theory said:
The term "critical theory" is often appropriated when an author (perhaps most notably Michel Foucault) works within sociological terms, yet attacks the social or human sciences (thus attempting to remain "outside" those frames of inquiry).

Out of the academic thoughts on this, I personally frown down upon the reaction educators authorities have taken upon this. One could argue with a little of research that those in charge of education will try to ban it's use bacause it is the work they've been doing in educating those kids what is being reflected in those messages.

Last edited:
Any messaging board that is "anonymous" in an invitation for bullying and bad behavior. I shudder to think what grade school students would do with it.

harborsparrow said:
Any messaging board that is "anonymous" in an invitation for bullying and bad behavior.
Indeed.

Kids are suppressed a lot by adults, I find no surprise in they trying to seize anonymous ways to shout back their frustration at those in charge. Explosions and killing included in the package.

In the end it wasn't anonymous at all for geo-location information was shared with authorities (just to make kids' frustration of always being under the control of adults even bigger).

Psinter said:
Kids are suppressed a lot by adults,
Which, overall, is probably a good thing, although I would word this as "supervised" rather than "suppressed."
Psinter said:
I find no surprise in they trying to seize anonymous ways to shout back their frustration at those in charge. Explosions and killing included in the package.

In the end it wasn't anonymous at all for geo-location information was shared with authorities (just to make kids' frustration of always being under the control of adults even bigger).
Kids left to their own devices, without the supervision of adults, can find ways to get into a lot of trouble, including the explosions and killing you mentioned.

Mark44 said:
Kids left to their own devices, without the supervision of adults, can find ways to get into a lot of trouble, including the explosions and killing you mentioned.
True. I always avoided trouble as a kid. I never understood how my friends always got into trouble until growing a little more that I was told that "avoiding trouble is an ability many lack." Specially kids.

edit: One, out of the many reasons they fail to avoid trouble, is because they want to be heard and praised as awesome. Therefore, they can't allow themselves to be controlled by someone else, as they define that as lame and not cool. But each to their own definition. This application probably maybe made them feel in control by scaring the adults they dislike so much.

Anyway, just like I frowned the adults at my first post, now I frown down those kids as well who think they achieve the big thing by scaring or offending their adult counterparts. They won't achieve much by behaving like that.

Last edited:

1. What is Yik Yak?

Yik Yak is a location-based social media platform where users can anonymously post and view short messages called "yaks" within a 5-mile radius.

2. How does Yik Yak work?

Yik Yak uses GPS technology to determine a user's location and show them yaks that have been posted within a 5-mile radius. Users can then upvote or downvote yaks, and the most popular ones will be displayed at the top of the feed.

3. Can I post anything I want on Yik Yak?

While Yik Yak allows for anonymous posting, there are community guidelines in place to prevent hate speech, bullying, and other inappropriate content. Violators can be reported and have their posts removed or be banned from the platform.

4. Is Yik Yak still popular?

Yik Yak experienced a decline in popularity in recent years and officially shut down in 2017. However, the app has been relaunched with new features and is gaining popularity once again.

5. Can I use Yik Yak for scientific research?

Due to the anonymous nature of Yik Yak, it may not be the most reliable source for scientific research. However, it can be used as a tool to gather data on certain topics or trends within a specific location or community.