Find the arc length of the given function

In summary, Iggy solves this last homework problem by using a trig substitution, parametric equations, and an integration table.
iggybaseball
This is my last homework problem and I feel that I almost have it solved. The problem is as followed:

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt{4-x^2} [/tex]

Find the arc length of the given function from x=0 to x=2.

I know that I am supposed to use this formula to solve for arclength:

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1 + (f\prime(x))^2} dx[/tex]

Ok so I take the derivative of

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt{4-x^2} [/tex]

and I get:

[tex] f\prime(x) =\frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

I then plug this into the equation get:

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1 + (\frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}) ^2} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1 + \frac{x^2}{4-x^2}} [/tex]

I get stuck here because I can't integrate this. I can't use any integral tables and I even try some algebraic manipulation inside of the square root and get:

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{\frac{4}{4-x^2}} [/tex]

Any help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if [tex]f(x)=\arcsin (x) \Rightarrow f'(x)= \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

Then ...

Visit integrals.com and enter Sqrt[4/(4-x^2)]
Don't just take the answer [In addition, remember it's just a computer.]
... learn from the answer to figure out how you could have gotten it yourself.

The answer has an (x/2) in it. Hmmm. maybe a substitution or two is in order.

you can break it down into partial fractions

i second the inverse trig antiderivative!

mathmike said:
you can break it down into partial fractions

yeah...but then it's a problem of looking up integration tables again, and not necessarily finding anything, either.

Alright I think I got the solution. Is this right?

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{\frac{4}{4-x^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \frac{\sqrt{4}}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

[tex] 2\int_{0}^{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

then using an integral table...

[tex] 2\arcsin{\frac{x}{2}} |_{0}^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 2\arcsin{1} [/tex]

Does that look right?

well done iggy
well done

Tninking in terms of formulas or looking things up in a table, you miss most of what's interesting about this problem.

Looking at something like [tex] 2\int_{0}^{2} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex] (DON'T forget the "dx"), the first thing that should come to mind is a trig substitution (I hate integral tables!). Let x= 2sin(θ) so that dx= 2 cos(θ) and 4- x2= 4- 4sin2(θ)= 2(1- sin2(θ))= 2 cos(θ). When x= 0, 0= 2sin(θ) so θ= 0. When x= 2, 2= 2sin(θ) so θ= [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. The integral becomes [tex]2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\theta[/tex]. That's pretty easy, isn't it!

Yet another way to do this is to put the formula in parametric equations. [tex]y= \sqrt{4- x^2} [/tex] is (almost) the same thing as y2= 4- x2 or x2+ y2= 4, a circle of radius 2.
Parametric equations for that are x= 2cos(t), y= 2 sin(t) where t ranges from 0 to [tex]\frac{pi]{2}[/tex]. [tex]ds= \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+ (\frac{dy}{dt})^2} = 2dt[/tex]. x goes from 0 to 2 as t goes from 0 to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] so the arc length is [tex]2 \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}dt[/tex] which is also pretty darn easy!

Finally, it should be obvious that you are talking about 1/4 of a circle of radius 2. Find the circumference and divide by 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of arc length in mathematics?

The arc length of a curve or a arc is defined as the distance along the curved line. It is measured in units of length, such as inches, meters, or kilometers.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2)dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function and the integral is taken over the given interval.

3. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance and cannot have a negative value.

4. What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is the actual distance along the curve, while arc measure is the degree measure of the central angle that subtends the arc. Arc measure is measured in degrees or radians, while arc length is measured in units of length.

5. Can you find the arc length of any function?

Yes, the arc length of any continuous function can be calculated as long as the function is defined over a given interval. However, some functions may have complicated or infinite arc lengths, which may require advanced techniques to calculate.