Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

In summary, Physicsforums.com has introduced the addition of LaTeX mathematical typesetting to their forum software. This professional-grade typesetting system allows for pleasing mathematical presentation and can be included in any post on the forum. Users can include LaTeX graphics by using the [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]...[ /itex ] tags, with the latter being used for inline graphics. The forum provides a pdf file and symbol reference for the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs. The amsmath package is also available for more information. Examples of various techniques are provided, including subscripts, superscripts, and equations. Users can also use the [ tex usepackage= ] tag to include additional packages.
[tex]\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For testing please use:
http://at.org/~cola/tex2img/index.php [Broken]

Last edited:
Test...

[itex]A = A'[/itex]

- Warren

Test

[itex]E = mc^{10}[/itex]

?

Last edited:
This page can be used for unlimited LaTeX previewing and testing. It's a little crude. Still working some details out.

https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken]

Last edited:
{n^3,\color{red}{n^3},n^3}

[tex]{n^3,\color{red}{n^3},n^3}[/tex]

I need to fool around. I'm getting different answers elsewhere besides here and : https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Beer w/Straw said:
{n^3,\color{red}{n^3},n^3}

[tex]{n^3,\color{red}{n^3},n^3}[/tex]

I need to fool around. I'm getting different answers elsewhere besides here and : https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken]

Try this site for ##\LaTeX## practice:
http://arachnoid.com/latex/
(instant feedback and no [tex] tags required)

edit: nvm I figured it out

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
This page can be used for unlimited LaTeX previewing and testing. It's a little crude. Still working some details out.

https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken]
Pressing return makes a newline. It does not render it.

Hi to all, I'm Newbie in this forum. I'm very glad to join this forum..

## L_Z = I_Z \omega_Z ##
## \frac{1+2x}{y+3} ##

Last edited:
Hello. I apologize if this had been asked already in this thread, I just didn't find it feasible to go through it all. How would I go about changing the math font here? For example, I happen to find times math fonts to be perhaps one of the most beautiful ones out there, so I could I implement it into a post on this site?

SrVishi said:
How would I go about changing the math font here?
Not sure what you mean by changing the math font, but if you want to learn how to use it, start here: Latex Primer

It's funny how the primer uses arrays to organize the LaTeX, but doen't show how to use arrays. I think this could be helpful?

\usepackage
Doc Al said:
Not sure what you mean by changing the math font, but if you want to learn how to use it, start here: Latex Primer
Thanks for the reply! What I mean by changing the math font is that whenever I type an equation on here, it always shows up with the default font which I believe to be called computer modern (I could be totally wrong). I want to instead use a times math font, maybe like STIX or mathptmx, for the math symbols (presuming that this can be done to begin with). I checked out the thread you linked me to, and the only thing I could find on fonts is changing certain symbols to certain special fonts, like changing R into the double struck ##\mathbb{R}##, which isn't what I was looking for.

Bump (*in great shame*)

SrVishi said:
What I mean by changing the math font is that whenever I type an equation on here, it always shows up with the default font which I believe to be called computer modern (I could be totally wrong).
Are you using Latex to type your equations?

Uh, I believe so. I mean, I am inserting my equations in between the pound signs##

<h2>1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.</p><h2>2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?</h2><p>Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.</p><h2>3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.</p><h2>4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?</h2><p>Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.</p><h2>5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.</p>

1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?

LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.

2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?

Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.

3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?

No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.

4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?

Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.

5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?

There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.