Propogation Amplitude of Free Particles from \vec{x}_0 to \vec{x}

• Thread starter ghotra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, the amplitude for a free particle to propogate from \vec{x}_0 to \vec{x} is: U(t) = \left\langle \vec{x} | e^{-i H t} | \vec{x}_0 \right\rangle
ghotra
Consider the amplitude for a free particle to propogate from [itex]\vec{x}_0[/itex] to [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]:

[tex]
U(t) = \left\langle \vec{x} | e^{-i H t} | \vec{x}_0 \right\rangle
[/tex]

I guess I don't understand what it means for a particle to propogate from one "position" to the next. If the particle is not in a position eigenstate, then it does not have a well-defined position. If so, then how can we even talk about propogating from one position to the next.

Bottom line: [itex] | \vec{x}_0 \rangle [/itex] is a wave and does not have a well-defined position. So how can we talk about positions?

I am seeking clarification on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bottom line: [itex]|\vec{x}_0 \rangle[/itex]is a wave and does not have a well-defined position. So how can we talk about positions?

To begin with, [itex]|\vec{x}_0\rangle [/itex] normally denote an eigenstate of the position operator. Hence, it has a well defined position.

The state [itex]e^{-iHt} |\vec{x}_0\rangle [/itex] is in general not an eigenstate of the position operator, and that is why we can only talk about transition probabilities for the particle, i.e. we can only know the probability of measuring the particle in position [itex]\vec{x}[/itex].

ghotra said:
I guess I don't understand what it means for a particle to propogate from one "position" to the next. If the particle is not in a position eigenstate, then it does not have a well-defined position.

You are right of course: if the particle was not in a position eigenstate, then this is not the answer. It was the answer to the question: IF THE PARTICLE WERE IN A POSITION EIGENSTATE then what's the amplitude for it to be in ANOTHER POSITION EIGENSTATE after some time t has elapsed.

So you can now say: big deal, I wasn't in an eigenstate in the first place, so what does this help me ? The answer is: the superposition principle !
EVERY state can be written as a superposition of position eigenstates. For instance, if psi(x) is the "wave function" then the state is:

[tex] |\psi \rangle = \int \psi(x) |x\rangle dx [/tex]

And applying the time evolution operator to this one, we can "shift it through the integral" to make it act only on |x>. So with the knowledge of [tex] \langle x| U(t,t_0) | x_0 \rangle [/tex] we have in fact solved all quantum mechanical questions we could ask about the system. It's sometimes called a "Green's function" of the problem.

cheers,
Patrick.

1. What does the term "propagation amplitude" refer to in regards to free particles?

The propagation amplitude of free particles refers to the probability amplitude of a particle to propagate from its initial position, \vec{x}_0, to a final position, \vec{x}. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles as waves.

2. How is the propagation amplitude of free particles calculated?

The calculation of the propagation amplitude involves using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of quantum systems. The solution to this equation provides the amplitude of the particle at a given time and position.

3. What factors affect the propagation amplitude of free particles?

The propagation amplitude of free particles can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and energy of the particle, the potential energy of the system, and the presence of other particles or fields. These factors can influence the behavior of the particle as it propagates through space.

4. How does the propagation amplitude of free particles relate to wave-particle duality?

The concept of wave-particle duality states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The propagation amplitude of free particles is a manifestation of this duality, as it describes the probability of a particle behaving like a wave as it moves through space.

5. Can the propagation amplitude of free particles be measured?

No, the propagation amplitude of free particles cannot be directly measured. It is a mathematical concept that represents the probability of a particle's behavior. However, experiments and observations can be used to verify the predictions of the propagation amplitude and confirm its validity as a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.