Cross Product of Two Vectors: Finding Component Along Direction of C

In summary, the problem involves finding the component of the cross product of two vectors, A and B, along the direction of a third vector, C. To do this, first calculate the vector D by taking the cross product of A and B. Then find the unit vector in the direction of C. Finally, take the dot product of D and the unit vector of C. The correct answer is -14.4, but it's possible that there was an algebraic mistake made during the calculation process.
Midas_Touch
I have two vectors A = 2x + 3y - 4z and B = -6x - 4y + z. The problem asks me to find the component of A X B along the direction of C = x - y + z. So I did put A and B into a matrix, but I didn't get the correct answer, which is -14.4. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, find the vector D = A X B.
Then find the unit vector in the C direction.
Finally dot D with the unit vector of C.

mezarashi said:
First, find the vector D = A X B.
Then find the unit vector in the C direction.
Finally dot D with the unit vector of C.

I got -15 instead of -14.4 (the answer from the back of the book). I am not sure why it's a little off.

I can only suggest an algebriac mistake.

1. What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first need to find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix using the components of the two vectors. The cross product vector is then formed using the coefficients of the matrix.

3. What is the significance of finding the component along the direction of C?

Finding the component along the direction of C allows us to determine the amount of one vector that is parallel to another vector. This can be useful in various mathematical and physical applications.

4. Can the cross product of two vectors be zero?

Yes, the cross product of two vectors can be zero if the two vectors are parallel or if one of the vectors has a magnitude of zero.

5. How is the cross product related to the dot product?

The cross product and dot product are two different types of vector multiplication. While the cross product results in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors, the dot product results in a scalar value. The two operations are related by the fact that they both involve the components of the two vectors, but they serve different purposes in vector mathematics.